Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Plymouth Satellite

tomsheehy

Just started this conversion project, building a 68 Satellite out of the AMT 68 Roadrunner kit.  I'm using a Shapeways 3D trunk/taillight printed unit to replace the rear of the Roadrunner.  Initial cuts were required for the swap were fairly easy, mostly using the back side of an X-Acto blade.  The fit is pretty good so far, it's going to require a bit more trimming and shaping, but should yield a nice alternative.

Other mods will include stock 68 hubcaps from Fireball, a resin 3D small block 318 from VCG Resins, and a resin interior from Missing Link.  

Here's the link to the taillight parts:  https://www.shapeways.com/product/3UHFXGKJ9/1-25-1968-plymouth-satellite-rearend?optionId=299285487&li=marketplace

20231127_115757.jpg

20231127_115811.jpg

20231127_115842.jpg

Edited by tomsheehy

Thanks for posting this and the vendor information.

Always wanted to build one of these as my mom had one, 318, hubcaps and all. Tough ole car. Not of her doing, but was wrecked so many times, everything except the roof was replaced at least once, including suspension pieces.

• Like 1

Hi Tom, good to see you here.

That 3D part is interesting. I've not seen someone create a 3D body panel like that yet. I've seen some grills and stuff like that, but not a body part intended to replace a kit part. Whoever designed it appears to have done their homework because it appears to fit the body quite well.