Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mountain drifting

FujimiLover

Hello there. When I purchased my metallic gray Mazda RX7 FC3S model, I had purchased it along with Fujimi's Initial D Toyota AE86 Trueno in hopes to build a diorama of a drifting scene. I dont' know how to build a 1/24 scale mountain road hair-pin turn and the project never took off.

One day I may purchase two more Initial D kit's and do this, but how would I go about building the diorama of a mountain road hair-pin turn? Does anybody have any sample pictures of a mountain road? Perhaps pictures of the inside of their diorama? Thank you!

Fujimilover

Heres a suggestion and I don't know how it would work bet here goes

do you remenber making paper machee maps in school?

well when I wa younger I had model trains diorama with three train sets on a larg piece of plywood and to make the mountains my dad and I worked out a papermachee mountain with a tunnel for the trains to go through!

You can take two pieces if plywoodand nail then together to form a "L" shaped structure then using wire make a form like you would want for your diorama mix up a great deal of machee and began to layer the diorama let each layer dry before laying on the next layer, and be careful to get the roadscaled just right!

after you have gotten the mountain side built you can use water color paint to add the final touches purchase some scenery (Trees and shrubs) and add them to the diorama to make it a bit more autheric add a wrecked car at the bottom of a gully HA

do it right and it will be so realistic looking that someone might think it was real (form a photo)

Larry

grandad

Thank's but I've watched plenty of the Initial D anime series and have about 13 DVD's so far. I have an idea of exactly how I want it to look with the Mazda RX7 FC3S and The famous Toyota Trueno drifting side by side with a driver in each, wheel at an angle, front wheels at an angle, and smoke from the tires via cotton. As these models have optional headlight's in the pop-up position, I'd like to have working lights on it as well and perhaps a blinking orange light in the exaust tip to simulate the turbo-beltch.

I've also viewd lot's of hill-climb and drifting on youtube and know how I want it to look. It's just a question of how do I build the mountain. For the asphalt, I plan on useing sandpaper as it's best simulation for the surface. Use proper grit to get the right scale! :lol:

Oh and by the way, we never made paper machee's in ANY of my classes......................:lol:

Edited by FujimiLover

Don't need pic's of the mountain. Just want pic's of a diorama build.

I also have watched WRC "World Rally Championship" in where they do alot of drifting on the tarmac stages, as well as watching the latest Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift movie. So I'm very familiar and as you said I know EXACTLY what I want. I just need to know how to build it!

Edited by FujimiLover

Best is to get on Model Train sites and see how they build mountains. Latest version I believe to to use pink or blue foam insulation. Layer it up roughtly to shape you want.. use foam to form flat road among the cliffs. Use big files, saws, serrated kitchen knives.. whatever to rough shape it. Then they cover with various materials.. paper mache as was mentioned and plaster like material that can be shaped. There's many ways and methods. I've heard of sandpaper being used for roads, as you mention. There is a lot of material out there on doing this and model railroads are the key.

Sounds like a cool project.. hopefully we'll be seeing the plaster fly here soon! :rolleyes:

Won't be any time soon.............................just an image stuck in my head from being a previous Initial D fan. Would like to do similar for WRC though! :rolleyes:

I think the first step would be to build the car's that'll be displayd on the diorama. After all, if the car's turn to poop, what's the point of the diorama? Why build a diorama, and then plaster it with die-cast models that Joe-Blow can buy?

Edited by FujimiLover

To make this paper mache paste, simply mix together 1 part flour to 2 parts water. You will want it to be the consistency of thick glue, but you also want it to be runny and not thick like paste. Add more water or flour as necessary. Mix well to remove any lumps.

A few helpful tips I have read in regards to using this paste are:

If you live in an area with high humidity, add a few tablespoons of salt to help prevent mold.

If you don't like the smell of the glue mixture you can add a few sprinkles of cinnamon or cinnamon to sweeten it up!

You should be able to store this glue in a covered bowl or jar, in the refrigerator, for a few days

tear newspaper into strips ,dip strips in paste, place over form, and layer, allow to dry then continue to layer

this wont cost much just for the wire and plywood, frour and glue

a cheep fix but will last a lifetime

grandad

larry

I agree with perusing the techniques used by the train guys,also the complete vision sounds like it would take up the size of the kitchen table maybe scale down the whole picture and concentrate on telling your story on as small of a base as possible and let the viewer fill in the bigger picture.try sketching out your ideas on graph paper and write down the things you want to include. try to imply the mountain by building a steep angle maybe .there are a lot of books on dioramas check them out.oh and sometimes for elevation changes the train guys use stryofoam .

Thank you. What I imagine is a sculpture about, I dont' know, two feet tall and two feet diameter? 3/4'ths of it maybe flat on the back with just the corner of the turn showing and of coarse the front of the peice. I'm just looking to create a small peice of the curve to display the two cars on. So I don't think it would be too big of a structure.

Thank you. What I imagine is a sculpture about, I dont' know, two feet tall and two feet diameter? 3/4'ths of it maybe flat on the back with just the corner of the turn showing and of coarse the front of the peice. I'm just looking to create a small peice of the curve to display the two cars on. So I don't think it would be too big of a structure.

hi, im am new too the forum but your topic caught my eye. i am also doing a mt drift diorama with a 1/24 scale ae86 that will be done to look like my real one. first your base. i would use a wood base, most people use picture frames but the cardboard backing isnt very strong. next build up your mountain and road using pink or blue insulating house board. you can get this from any home hardware store. carve it to your desired shape. next cover the whole thing with a modeling putty/clay. aff the putty dries paint ground work in a earth color . add grass , plants and trees. next work on the road. you could make it look smooth , cracked or grity. as this is all done with the modeling clay with a thin layer for the road. next paint the road a asphalt color. use airbrush for skid marks road wear ect. to ad more details you can build guard rails and road signs out ove sheet and rod styrene. hope any of this helps

here are a few pics for a ref.

post-4239-1237281622_thumb.jpg

post-4239-1237281713_thumb.jpg

post-4239-1237281766_thumb.jpg

pardon me but I still say that paper mache would be the way to go cheeper than steroforn and modeling clay and easy as heck to work with and I would use black sand paper for the road

thats what I am using for my dio built a modern day garage and am using green outdoor carpet for the grassy area paper mache for the hills black sand paper for the road a mirrow for the pond and cut up nandina bushes for the woods around a camping area. also nade a scale tent and canopy cover out of plastic garbage bags a picnic table out of coffee sturers painting a backk ground to signify the area behind the shop and ince I am an artist the scenero will be as authenic as a paint brush can make it mountains in the far background and a field of corn in the foreground houses painted on the sides of the hills with roadwork painted in

oh well

larry