Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth T-600 modification

I just recently bought the AMT KW T-600A (non-canepa I believe) and I was wanting to build it differently than the model.  I own a T-600 (a real one) and I was thinking it'd be real fun to make a mini duplicate of my old horse.

The differences are as follows.  My truck is a day-cab (no sleeper) has a single stack on the passenger side, a headache rack with a hazard light bar on top and lights added to the mirrors for hay hauling.  What would be the best way to go about making all these mods?

Pics for assistance and eye-candy

Thanks for any help and I think this should be real fun

20220425_102151.jpg

20220425_102303.jpg

20220425_102337.jpg

On 1/17/2024 at 1:59 AM, Carl127 said:

I just recently bought the AMT KW T-600A (non-canepa I believe) and I was wanting to build it differently than the model.  I own a T-600 (a real one) and I was thinking it'd be real fun to make a mini duplicate of my old horse.

The differences are as follows.  My truck is a day-cab (no sleeper) has a single stack on the passenger side, a headache rack with a hazard light bar on top and lights added to the mirrors for hay hauling.  What would be the best way to go about making all these mods?

Pics for assistance and eye-candy

Thanks for any help and I think this should be real fun

20220425_102151.jpg

20220425_102303.jpg

20220425_102337.jpg

Cool project!!
The AMT T600 kit needs some work to be accurate. Fortunately for you, the real thing is available for reference. The grille will need to be modified to be accurate, the suspension isn’t accurate, the engine will need to be modified or replaced, I am also doubting that your truck has an auxiliary transmission, so that will need to be deleted. The rear of the frame should be modified to match your truck. You will also want wheels that are not split rims. It sounds like a lot, but it isn’t as bad as it sounds. You can make a rear cab panel from Evergreen styrene or just use a panel from the sleeper. I think that this kit has weed burner exhaust, but converting to a single stack will be no problem. Most everything that you need can be found. Ebay is a source, search “resin” in automotive model kits. Moluminum is a good source for wheels, tires, engines, etc. ST Supply in Canada has a lot of parts. There are also 3d printed part available, but look at them closely because there is some rough looking products be printed and sold, but there are some quality ones as well. Various headache racks are available aftermarket or you can scratch build one from styrene. You can also source parts from other kits such as your light bar. If you don’t mind sanding and fabricating this project can be done very well. I use superglue and styrene for body filler because I have had putty to shrink. 
I hope this helps,

Brian

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

10 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Cool project!!
The AMT T600 kit needs some work to be accurate. Fortunately for you, the real thing is available for reference. The grille will need to be modified to be accurate, the suspension isn’t accurate, the engine will need to be modified or replaced, I am also doubting that your truck has an auxiliary transmission, so that will need to be deleted. The rear of the frame should be modified to match your truck. You will also want wheels that are not split rims. It sounds like a lot, but it isn’t as bad as it sounds. You can make a rear cab panel from Evergreen styrene or just use a panel from the sleeper. I think that this kit has weed burner exhaust, but converting to a single stack will be no problem. Most everything that you need can be found. Ebay is a source, search “resin” in automotive model kits. Moluminum is a good source for wheels, tires, engines, etc. ST Supply in Canada has a lot of parts. There are also 3d printed part available, but look at them closely because there is some rough looking products be printed and sold, but there are some quality ones as well. Various headache racks are available aftermarket or you can scratch build one from styrene. You can also source parts from other kits such as your light bar. If you don’t mind sanding and fabricating this project can be done very well. I use superglue and styrene for body filler because I have had putty to shrink. 
I hope this helps,

Brian

Yeah I know it'll be a job but I think it'll be kinda fun, plus honestly if it takes a while thats fine cause I wanna do it nice and I am doing this so that I have a little hobby project to last me awhile, I havent built a model of any variety in a few years so I'll have to relearn a few things.

I see you mentioned body filler, are there places on this model where I'd need it even without the sleeper?

1 hour ago, Carl127 said:

Yeah I know it'll be a job but I think it'll be kinda fun, plus honestly if it takes a while thats fine cause I wanna do it nice and I am doing this so that I have a little hobby project to last me awhile, I havent built a model of any variety in a few years so I'll have to relearn a few things.

I see you mentioned body filler, are there places on this model where I'd need it even without the sleeper?

The area around the grill will need to be filled. I would use styrene and super glue. Your filler panel in the back may need a little filler. If you get a tight fit there, super glue will be all that you need. You can begin to shape with as rough as 200 grit sandpaper, but I usually try to smooth everything out with at least 1000 grit before adding primer. 

There are 3 different versions of the T600.
The original T600 was between 1984 to 1989 and had split flat wind screens and flat top or old Aerodyne I sleepers if they had one, the grille was a flat shiny piece at the front of the hood.
The T600A was between 1990 to 1994, it had curved glass wind screen either as one piece or split, a different grille and has either a flat top or the later Aerodyne II sleeper with curved front instead of the angeled front of the earlier Aerodyne sleepers...if they had one of course, and the grille was integrated in the hood.
The T600B was between late 1994 and 2007 and had the Aerocab with integrated sleeper (if they had one), a different angeled higher cab roof to better meet the sleeper, the hood was later changed from a one piece to a three piece and different "daylight doors" with a forward notch and no vent windows, the T600 was replaced with the T660 2008.

The Revell Germany T600 is the first version with split flat glass wind screen and the old Aerodyne with angeled front (or flat top) sleeper, the chassis and drive train is more modern than the AMT kit but has some strange construction solutions where some things are not like on the real trucks like the air cleaner among other things.
The AMT kit is the T600A version with curved one piece wind screen and the later Aerodyne II sleeper with curved front, it's not entirely correct as it uses the underpinnings from the old W925 wich is way too old and outdated, and the grille is not correct as it's separate and a chromed piece and should be integrated with the hood, but it's workable. 

Edited by Force

7 hours ago, Force said:

The original T600 was between 1984 to 1989 and had split flat wind screens and flat top or old Aerodyne I sleepers if they had one, the grille was a flat shiny piece at the front of the hood.
The T600A was between 1990 to 1994, it had curved glass wind screen either as one piece or split, a different grille and has either a flat top or the later Aerodyne II sleeper with curved front instead of the angeled front of the earlier Aerodyne sleepers...if they had one of course, and the grille was integrated in the hood.
The T600B was between late 1994 and 2007 and had the Aerocab with integrated sleeper (if they had one), a different angeled higher cab roof to better meet the sleeper, the hood was later changed from a one piece to a three piece and different "daylight doors" with a forward notch and no vent windows, the T600 was replaced with the T660 2008.

The Revell Germany T600 is the first version with split flat glass wind screen and the old Aerodyne with angeled front (or flat top) sleeper, the chassis and drive train is more modern than the AMT kit but has some strange construction solutions where some things are not like on the real trucks like the air cleaner among other things.
The AMT kit is the T600A version with curved one piece wind screen and the later Aerodyne II sleeper with curved front, it's not entirely correct as it uses the underpinnings from the old W925 wich is way too old and outdated, and the grille is not correct as it's separate and a chromed piece and should be integrated with the hood, but it's workable. 

I know about the different versions of the truck, I researched mine before and after I bought it, I'll have to figure out the suspension cause almost all T600s, especially the As and on, had KW 8 bag air suspension,  very very few had spring suspension.

I know the AMT kit has its issues but its the only T600A kit I've found with the hood style mine has, suspension, day-cab conversion, filer and all of that I can do, but I needed a good base to start with.

3 hours ago, Carl127 said:

I know about the different versions of the truck, I researched mine before and after I bought it, I'll have to figure out the suspension cause almost all T600s, especially the As and on, had KW 8 bag air suspension,  very very few had spring suspension.

I know the AMT kit has its issues but its the only T600A kit I've found with the hood style mine has, suspension, day-cab conversion, filer and all of that I can do, but I needed a good base to start with.

Yes I'm with you on that.
You can rob the 8 bag suspension together with the more modern 10 hole wheels from the Tyrone Malone Kenworth K100 Aerodyne transporters or any other AMT K100 Aerodyne kits...or at Auslowe.
The Malone transporter Papa Truck has wrong suspension anyway as it should have torsion bars, and both the Papa Truck and Hideout truck has wrong wheels, back in the day they had Truck Mate 5 hole wheels and later 2 hole Budds...not 10 hole Alcoas.

Edited by Force

I have built 2 of the AMT kits. I left the suspension as supplied. Mostly because accuracy is not a thing for me. I build kits more as an art project. Here are pics of the hood/grille body worked in and without. I also have pic of a headache rack I made from scratch for another build.

KW twins LF.JPG

AMT KW in progress LF A.JPG

Finished 5 cropped.JPG

17 hours ago, Force said:

What motors would Kenworth use in each of the T600 versions?

You could pretty much get what you wanted and it depends on the year as the T600 was offered from 1984 to 2007, but Cummins Big Cam IV, N14, ISX, Caterpillar 3406E, C13, C15, Detroit Series 60.

On 1/20/2024 at 1:25 PM, Force said:

You could pretty much get what you wanted and it depends on the year as the T600 was offered from 1984 to 2007, but Cummins Big Cam IV, N14, ISX, Caterpillar 3406E, C13, C15, Detroit Series 60.

M11 and L10 Cummins were also available.

On 1/20/2024 at 12:50 AM, Force said:

Yes I'm with you on that.
You can rob the 8 bag suspension together with the more modern 10 hole wheels from the Tyrone Malone Kenworth K100 Aerodyne transporters or any other AMT K100 Aerodyne kits...or at Auslowe.
The Malone transporter Papa Truck has wrong suspension anyway as it should have torsion bars, and both the Papa Truck and Hideout truck has wrong wheels, back in the day they had Truck Mate 5 hole wheels and later 2 hole Budds...not 10 hole Alcoas.

Will 11r-24.5s fit on the kit? I notice it comes with 11.00-20s and I havent started any building yet but would the 24.5s fit under the hood?

On 1/20/2024 at 2:05 AM, Bills72sj said:

I have built 2 of the AMT kits. I left the suspension as supplied. Mostly because accuracy is not a thing for me. I build kits more as an art project. Here are pics of the hood/grille body worked in and without. I also have pic of a headache rack I made from scratch for another build.

KW twins LF.JPG

AMT KW in progress LF A.JPG

Finished 5 cropped.JPG

I understand what you're saying, I'm not normally a real stickler on perfect accuracy as long as it looks pretty but this time around for me is different cause I'm trying to get as accurate a replica as I can of my real one.

Also very nice looking models

• Like 1