Model Cars Magazine Forum

Winged Sprint Car Build

ModWrench

This build has been on my "wish list" for a long time, so the opportunity to participate in a winged sprint car group build-off seemed like the perfect time to get after it!! Going to build a replica of the '79 Syracuse Supernationals winning car driven by PA icon Smokey Snellbaker. I attended races at the New York State Fairgrounds one-mile track for a number of years and loved watching the sprints and modifieds from my vantage point standing on the cinder track in Turn 1! There will be lots of scratch building on this one to make it look like the car from 1979 as-run at the race that year. Started by laying out the Evergreen rod and drew up plans to create a Lloyd sprint car chassis. Used the bottom rails from an old Monogram frame and scratch built the cage and lowered the top frame rails to accommodate the big block Chevy engine that this car ran. Still need to add mounting hardware for the top wing and a few minor items in the drivers compartment to complete the chassis, but it's close to being done. Next up will be building the top wing and the body parts. I have a Lloyd style hood from Big Donkey Resin that will provide a realistic engine cover.

Lloyd Chassis Scratch Build Step One.jpg

Lloyd Chassis LF.jpg

Lloyd Chassis RF.jpg

Lloyd Chassis Right Side.jpg

Lloyd Chassis Right Profile.jpg

Lloyd Chassis Rear.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...