Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mid-1980's MPC Fox body Mustang question; i.e. has anyone tried to substitute in or on to the same period MPC promo tires?

Greetings...

I was pondering the remains of a first issue silver MPC Mustang SVO model and was wondering if anyone had recoiled as I had with respect to the rather underwhelming B.F. Goodrich hollow vinyl tires usually found within annual kits of this period.  Odd I didn't think of it earlier, but has anyone ripped apart a later almost too cheap to worry about MPC promo in search of low profile Goodyear tires to help matters.  Yes - I know they wouldn't strictly be period Goodyear VR50 or 60-Series 'Gatorbacks', although I think it would be worth trying to improve upon what has always been a shortfall of these kits.  For a target promo or period kit to try upon, I was thinking a Dodge Stealth might possibly be sacrificed without anyone strictly taking notice.  Obviously and if no one chimes in, I'll likely just spend the money and see what comes of the idea.  Kind thanks for your review of this post...

SVOMustangboxalternate.jpg.a932abe61d8c56771c1e598684a47d9d.jpg

Mike K./Swede70

"Period Gatorbacks" did come in a lot of MPC and AMT kits back then in 3 sizes, 35 40 and 50 series. Not only sports cars but also as an option in street machines, customs etc. The one Stealth kit I have has 40s in it. I'd imagine the promo has the same. 

Later kits had Goodyear GS-Cs in 35 40 and 45 series. Same deal as the Gatorbacks, not only in sports cars but others as an option. IRC, the '66 Riviera lowrider had a set in it.

They all have the same inside diameter though, same diameter as the Mustang kit.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1