Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modifying A Welly Porsche Cayenne

oldcarfan

Being a long time Porsche fan, I've been wanting a Porsche Cayenne for years, but my income won't allow it. Now the older ones are in my price range, but sadly repair parts still command new Porsche prices. Guess I'll stick with my old Lexus RX. Repairs on it are a lot cheaper and rarely needed!

Since I won't be getting the Porsche, I decided to make a scale one. A damaged Welly 1/24th Cayenne popped up on eBay and I couldn't pass it up. Luckily, it only had a couple of rub marks, and one mirror was off. When I opened the box, the mirror was loose in it, so I call it a win! This is a project I've wanted to tackle for a while, so here goes. The first picture is a screen cap of the one offered.

As soon as it arrived I tried to decide what to do with it, but got stuck. Then today, I was working on my Cannonball entry, the Ford Expedition Night Train, and my ADHD kicked in. I pulled the tires off the Cayenne, and took the wheels and tires off a Maisto 1/27th Jeep Wrangler which turned out to be just the right size. I dechromed the wheels and shot them with a coat of Short Cuts Antique Bronze. I plan to give the truck a 3-4 inch lift to go with the offroad tires. I broke down several diecasts for parts a while back and put the parts away for later projects. A quick look offered up Jeep wheels and a push bar off a Jada Ford Raptor which had some fool KC lights already mounted. It took a little work, but I made it fit.

The roof rack is scratch built from Plastruct based on some of the more popular 1:1 offerings. I'm going to modify the light bar off a Jada Bronco to fit that.

The last three pictures show the sort of look I'm aiming for.

PorscheCayenneWelly.jpg

PorscheCayenneFirstShot.jpg

PorscheCayenneOverlander1.jpg

PorscheCayenneOverlanderFirst.jpg

PorscheCayenneOverlander.jpg

• Like 2

Made a little progress on the Cayenne. Got the roof rack finished out and added the roof rack light bar also from the Jada Raptor. Most Cayenne overlanders run Hellas but KCs look good too! I also worked on the stance a bit. The lift might be a little much, can't decide.  Now I need to make a roof basket and come up with some cargo. I love Porsches and have several 911s built up so I'm thinking of making a trailer for the Cayenne to pull one of the racers with.

PorscheCayenneLightsRoofRackFront.jpg

PorscheCayenneRoofRackFront.jpg

PorscheCayennestance.jpg

Worked on the Cayenne in between waiting for parts to dry on the Expedition. I lowered the stance about an 1/8th inch and worked on the rooftop basket. I wanted to make one out of wire, but an hour of trying to superglue wire together led me to switch to Plastruct strips. Hoping to finish that tomorrow.

PorscheCayenneBasket2-3-24.jpg

PorscheCayenneBasket2-3-24sideview.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just an update. I'm calling this one done! I found some decals off eBay and got them on. I put the roof rack on and got the snorkel air intake in place and it's ready to go offroading.

aaaaPorscheSafariFinishedFront.jpg

aaaaPorscheSafariFinishedSideFrontRight.PNG

aaaaPorscheSafariFinishedSideLeft.jpg

aaaaPorscheSafariFinishedRear.jpg

aaaaPorscheSafariFinishedTop.jpg