Model Cars Magazine Forum

International 4300 tractor

Started this build some time ago. While waiting on parts for two other builds, thought I would throw it back on the bench. Will be a mild custom with fenders, larger fuel tanks, maybe do something with the battery boxes, aftermarket exhaust, headache rack and so on. Will follow the colors of my growing fleet. Got a couple trailer ideas but will see where this goes. 
IMG_1814.jpeg.84eb14051146223bee0666a51f4faace.jpeg

did a lot of work to the front axle to get wider tires to fit in the fenders. 

• Like 2

You are multitasking now!  

I can never work several projects at once, I would lose parts or mix up parts. :)

Nice starting so far, the fenders fit like gloves in there.  

I think I had to also move the front axle to the front by 1/8 inch, but it could be just me building mine.  

On 2/4/2024 at 2:21 PM, Gary Chastain said:

Started this build some time ago. While waiting on parts for two other builds, thought I would throw it back on the bench. Will be a mild custom with fenders, larger fuel tanks, maybe do something with the battery boxes, aftermarket exhaust, headache rack and so on. Will follow the colors of my growing fleet. Got a couple trailer ideas but will see where this goes. 
IMG_1814.jpeg.84eb14051146223bee0666a51f4faace.jpeg

did a lot of work to the front axle to get wider tires to fit in the fenders. 

Gary,I have that in my pile yet to do,,, I understand that the front axle in the kit is a bit on the wide side? 

6 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

Gary,I have that in my pile yet to do,,, I understand that the front axle in the kit is a bit on the wide side? 

Yes it is to wide and it sits to far to the rear, tires are not centered in the wheel openings.  On the width, you could narrow the axle but be careful of the spring perches, second, find a narrower axle or thirdly I used a different set of wheels that have a different offset. it sets the backing plate a bit deeper in the wheel and it does clear the brake chambers 
Instead of glueing the axle forward on the springs, or moving the springs forward, I moved the hood rearward. I have seen guys remake the hinge to correct this issue which I think is the best way using removable pins. That way you can glue the grill to the hood before installing hood. 
I believe they have reissued this kit as the Sprite International 4300, hope they fixed these issues, but I still have a couple more of these kits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gary Chastain said:

Yes it is to wide and it sits to far to the rear, tires are not centered in the wheel openings.  On the width, you could narrow the axle but be careful of the spring perches, second, find a narrower axle or thirdly I used a different set of wheels that have a different offset. it sets the backing plate a bit deeper in the wheel and it does clear the brake chambers 
Instead of glueing the axle forward on the springs, or moving the springs forward, I moved the hood rearward. I have seen guys remake the hinge to correct this issue which I think is the best way using removable pins. That way you can glue the grill to the hood before installing hood. 
I believe they have reissued this kit as the Sprite International 4300, hope they fixed these issues, but I still have a couple more of these kits. 

I have a few aftermarket front axles in the parts dept.,,I'll have to check them with the kit axle..........so the hood has to be shaved off a bit where it meets the cab cowl also ?

4 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

I have a few aftermarket front axles in the parts dept.,,I'll have to check them with the kit axle..........so the hood has to be shaved off a bit where it meets the cab cowl also ?

I am not planning on shaving at the cowl, I am just going to move the cab back and the cab cross member. I moved the hood back just enough so the hood closes and the grill just misses the radiator, about .100 inch. There is a post in WIP where a member is shortening the hood to a 4200 series from a 4300 series, the way he changed the hood hinge is probably better than what I did. 

• Like 1

I didn’t like the smaller fuel tanks I was building so I am trying another route. Stripped the chrome off, glue up, fill seams and sink spots, sand off the straps. Ready for paint, make new chrome straps and steps. See how this goes. IMG_1822.jpeg.165b602c62b11134dbf821e4354cdd3d.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll do a great job. This is a real sturdy looking kit. I made one many years ago and thought ERTL did such a good job on it, the contrast to the AMT stuff. Things actually fitted together like a..... Kit!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 2:07 PM, Gary Chastain said:

Readjusting the fit of cab, hood and front axle. IMG_1819.jpeg.deebe8d76fccfc4acb6df35a23c9ba9e.jpegIMG_1821.jpeg.c86cd6dfdf3bbf80840ab1cf2fe4c143.jpeg
I choose to run wide tire setup which further complicated things. 

They really don’t look bad at all. 

• Like 1

Great job Gary I like look of the wider tries on the front . I was thinking the same way about doing the fuel tank on my 4300/4200 , I’m got a set of Photo etch steeps from Models by Dave I’m going to try those.

1 hour ago, k100 said:

Great job Gary I like look of the wider tries on the front . I was thinking the same way about doing the fuel tank on my 4300/4200 , I’m got a set of Photo etch steeps from Models by Dave I’m going to try those.

Yes, the wider tires I think look better. The fuel tanks are just kicking my ………t. Needed to put the straps on in segments and just couldn’t get them aligned, so I am scratch build a third set of tanks with a slightly longer tank and new mounts. Trying out a couple building techniques on the tank mounts/straps. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally getting some bench time after the weather has turned cold and snowing. Added more color to the hood, was just too much white color,  still playing around with fuel tanks. Scratch building a better looking visor also  IMG_1854.jpeg.89bc5f59ae4d157232a7f491486892a0.jpeg

• Like 2