Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting with "smoke"?

While researching something else, I noticed that Tamiya and Mr Hobby offer "smoke" paint, which seems to indicate translucence. 

I wondered if these could be used over colors like red, yellow or silver (and possibly others) to make subtle stripes etc. 

Anybody done this?  Pics? 

• Like 1

I have been thinking the same thing. I imagine they can just like their clear red/orange/yellow/blue. It might produce a neat effect. 

Smoke over a dark grey ? Smoke over a bright or off white?

I was thinking of picking some up the next time I am at the local hobby store and give it a try. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hasn't already given it a try.

cheers, Graham

I use the smoke on grilles to bring out the detail. It builds up nice in the indentations and makes kit chrome look a bit more real. if you want to use it to bring out detail you either have to work very ast or very slow as it builds up on the edges too and can very quickly go from looking good to looking like its been sat in waste oil. I've used it to make oil stains on floord for dios too. I see no reason it wouldn't work the way you suggested too and now you've suggested it, ghost stripes and flames should be a cinch without having to tint paints

• Like 1

it just occured to me i have used tamiya transparents to paint a full body. I used duplicolour golds and silvers and reflective paints for the stripes then hit the whole thing with tamiya red. its hard to get a decent pic as the tamiya clear red took on a sorta translucent shine when the flash hits it

DSC04451.JPG

DSC04450.JPG

• Like 1