Model Cars Magazine Forum

80s NASCAR Malibu?

• 1 month later...

Perhaps could someone print or cast just a nose (header panel/grille/bumper)? The MPC 1981 ElCamino looks right although 1/25, but I can't find a grill and bumper without buying and wrecking a whole promo or kit. I was hoping to find something that could be grafted onto the Salvinos LeMans maybe?

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

How would you use the MPC 1981 El Camino to make this body?

Back when I was doing resin I had thoughts of this car. I'd was going to start with a Monogram 1/24 El Camino for the A pillars forward. The rear was going to use the Monogram Chevy Citation. With work it can be done. Thanks

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 12:31 PM, iBorg said:

How would you use the MPC 1981 El Camino to make this body?

I was going to graft the nose to a Salvinos Lemans. The grill just looked closest to the NASCAR version to me. If someone could just make a nose to fit that body, the rear windows could be modified easily enough. I'd love to have it 1/24 since I prefer the Monogram chassis.

Edited by Iraceitall
Added info

On 4/5/2024 at 1:46 PM, Dave Van said:

Back when I was doing resin I had thoughts of this car. I'd was going to start with a Monogram 1/24 El Camino for the A pillars forward. The rear was going to use the Monogram Chevy Citation. With work it can be done. Thanks

This is probably where I'll try. I'll use a Salvinos Lemans, rework the 1/4 windows, and use a Monogram El Camino grill as a start. 

• Like 1

I've seen those as well. The bummer is they're 1/25. I really want to do this as a 1/24. I reached out to Jim Rogers, to see if they would ever do one, he did mention asking Luka Cee about doing a nose, like he did for the BGN Grand-Am one he made. Like I said, I can figure out the 1/4 windows if there was at least a nose available. 

The search is on for a cheap El Camino to raid the nose from. I've got a couple LeMans on the shelf, I'll see what transpires. I still like the MPC 1981 grill better, but probably going to have to modify a Monogram one, as well as the bumper. If I ever get the courage to do it I'll make a WIP. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!