Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Nascar Models.........

Ok here goes,  and let me say up front that I'm not bad mouthing or bashing anyone or any business. Just simply trying to understand something. I just seen that a new Nascar (old) model is about to be released. While I like the driver he was never a Nascar super star. And given the current resale of Nascar kits that can be had for usually less than $10 at any given swapmeet(even for Super Star drivers) how can it be profitable for a company to release a new old kit and then charge over $50 for it.  Im simply try to understand the thinking here. 

Many of the people buying the newly manufactured kits aren't aware of where to get the older kits for cheap, and don't know about aftermarket decals either.  Some of the newer kits won't get built, they'll be kept as collectors' items like a lot of Coca-Cola stuff.

The only version of that Kyle Petty Grand Prix that ever existed was an AMT kit done back in 1983. From my experience you don't want any part of those early AMT stock cars, not to mention it would be the wrong scale compared to all of the Monogram 80s kits.

The $50+ is the MSRP, the real shelf price is somewhere in the $42-44 price. Cheapest early 80s era Monogram Grand Prix on eBay right now runs $30 shipped and you'd still be on the hook for another $12+ shipping to get the KP 7/11 decals off Powerslide...so that's $42-44.

Show prices of those old kits gas risen as well since $25 for one of those old Monogram kits is now half the price of a new one. Those sub-$10 prices are gone for now.

3 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

The only version of that Kyle Petty Grand Prix that ever existed was an AMT kit done back in 1983. From my experience you don't want any part of those early AMT stock cars, not to mention it would be the wrong scale compared to all of the Monogram 80s kits.

The $50+ is the MSRP, the real shelf price is somewhere in the $42-44 price. Cheapest early 80s era Monogram Grand Prix on eBay right now runs $30 shipped and you'd still be on the hook for another $12+ shipping to get the KP 7/11 decals off Powerslide...so that's $42-44.

Show prices of those old kits gas risen as well since $25 for one of those old Monogram kits is now half the price of a new one. Those sub-$10 prices are gone for now.

While you may be right about purchasing from eBay and the MSRP, i set-up at a show late last year in Indiana and there were more Nascar for $10 and under than i could have fit in my car.