Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1989 Corvette ZR1

SDC

I guess I'll quit lurking around the WIP threads and jump into the fire with the rest of you.

This AMT 1989 Corvette ZR1 is my 4th build as an adult, but it's my first to put into a WIP thread.

To get started I removed the chrome pieces and dropped them in a bath of Super Clean to strip.  While that was going on I prepped a few of the parts that will be black to get them ready for paint.  As expected, there is a bit of flash here and there and some of the parts need a bit of extra attention, but I'm ok with that.  I figure if I can learn how to make an older AMT kit look pretty good, that will help make nicer kits even easier.

I haven't decided on a body color yet, but I plan to do the wheels in aluminum and the interior in black and tan, so it'll be something that goes with that combo I suppose.

Unfortunately there is nothing much to post just yet, but I'll make sure to update my progress as I move along.

Box Art

IMG_0804.jpg.f58f1aaeee3ed1c504fc619b153a3659.jpg

Parts

IMG_0808.jpg.856ed519418575da43f543a1beaba08b.jpg

Stripping the chrome parts

IMG_0810.jpg.2956799b6ea7b3a3f110003dd711cd1d.jpg

Chrome parts after Super Clean bath

IMG_0812.jpg.0b72e51d4035ef454200e146f0a057b9.jpg

Example of some of the flash in this kit

IMG_0825.jpg.5d5a307aca54d8b660b932a7deb6523f.jpg

• Like 2

If it's a less shiny look to the chrome you're after then a coat of semi-gloss or flat clear as required does the job nicely.

I used the engine from a slightly later version of AMT's ZR-1 in another build, then built the Corvette as a curbside. Went together nicely as I recall, I just lowered the suspension a little. I don't recall as much flash as yu're having to contend with. The hood on mine was fractionally warped, but not enough to worry about.

17 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

If it's a less shiny look to the chrome you're after then a coat of semi-gloss or flat clear as required does the job nicely.

I'm gonna keep that tidbit in mind for the future, thanks! 

I had a sort of brushed silver look in my head that I couldn't seem to shake for this one though, so I figured I'd dump the chrome and open up a few color options if needed.  

Not a ton of movement here, but I was able to at least shoot a few black bits last night.

Hopefully I can work on some of the accent colors for the dash, axles, suspension, etc., this evening.

IMG_0830.jpg.b3e1a3275cf73e38f985ef2ce7bb0bce.jpg  

17 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

That's quite a bit of flash. But some time and work I trust that you can get it looking good. 👍

I hope I can turn it into something I can be proud of, but I'll have a good time trying regardless!

Luckily there isn't a ton of parts in this kit, and some of them actually look pretty good. 

On 2/27/2024 at 1:25 PM, kelson said:

i built Monograms 89'Zr1 a couple years ago

That's a nice looking color! Do you recall any of the problem areas in that kit?

I noticed the front nose panel doesn't fit all that well on mine. 

So it will take a bit of work that I am likely not yet qualified to perform admirably, but I'll give it a shot anyhow!

On 2/29/2024 at 12:09 PM, SDC said:

That's a nice looking color! Do you recall any of the problem areas in that kit?

I noticed the front nose panel doesn't fit all that well on mine. 

So it will take a bit of work that I am likely not yet qualified to perform admirably, but I'll give it a shot anyhow!

The only issue i had was getting the hood to sit flush and installing the engine to the chassis.With most kits some sanding of parts is needed to get parts to sit flush.

I was able to work on this one a bit more yesterday.  

The engine is brush painted with good old Testors enamels, likely not color matched, but as a member of the fraternity of colorblind fellows, I don't worry about paint matching too terribly much.

I learned a lesson from my first build, where I glued the manifolds to the engine without considering how they will mate to the rest of the exhaust.  For this build I connected the exhaust (friction fit, not glued) before gluing the manifolds get the angles correct and then glued them to the engine.  The passenger side exhaust manifold is a bit rough in regards to the mated seams, but I likely won't mess with it much for fear if making it worse.

Also, I also got the chassis cleaned up and shot the primer, so it's ready for paint now.

IMG_0883.jpg.32898a92a170b4efbe828ca0b8010f34.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg.f7bba1f61e9390b853444e64b8b81793.jpg

• Like 1

As a new builder, I keep having "firsts", and I had another one last night.

I partially wired my first engine!

I watched a few tutorials, and ultimately went with using some wire and heat shrink I already had. 

The wire measures right at 0.5mm, so is a bit oversized (right at 12mm in 1:1).   I'll probably go ahead and order something in the 0.3mm-0.4mm range for the future, but I'm ok with this one as it is.

I'll try to button up the remainder of the engine and get the final detailing done tonight before moving over the the chassis.

IMG_0899.jpg.994b14783ba08ca4223fe479812c9e26.jpgIMG_0900.jpg.3f1e5e43fad3bfc21ebf831885003a29.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, kelson said:

Looks good!👍

9 hours ago, Deathgoblin said:

Looking great so far.  :)  

Thanks Curtis and Brian!

I'm glad to be moving on the the interior because the engine (it's fitment as a whole as well as it's mounting to the chassis) really frustrated me and sort of gave me my first dose of reality that this is hard sometimes.  And then, once I'm good with it, I look at a picture and suddenly 30 new seams have appeared that I wasn't seeing before! Lol.

Anyway, engine, suspension, and exhaust are in the rearview, moving to the interior now.

(sorry about the glare in the photos)

IMG_0911.jpg.8d9b6c55432e800c8c1ae3847db8a77b.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg.ec00fd99e3a2cf2e885258fc942edcde.jpg

• Like 2

I started one then found that I had previously taken many parts including the engine for other projects.

I cobbled bits and pieces together and ended up with this, nowhere near accurate, but it'll do for a shelf model.

I'm sure yours will look great.

IMG_3908.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 9:31 AM, dino246gt said:

nowhere near accurate, but it'll do for a shelf model

Absolutely, sometimes it's fun to see something that doesn't quite belong! 

Also, good job on that tiny wiring, I'm trying to get a handle on those little details myself now, it's tricky.

I followed shoopdog's advice and tried spraying some Apple Barrel Classic Caramel craft paint (mixed 50/50 with washer fluid) and I think I created a pretty convincing tan leather interior for the ZR1.

I'll give it a bit and do a bit of a wash to see if the seat details pop a bit better, but I am pretty happy with it so far.

IMG_0947.jpg.d89864d5c9e4006bee238712952c304e.jpg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, SDC said:

I followed shoopdog's advice and tried spraying some Apple Barrel Classic Caramel craft paint (mixed 50/50 with washer fluid) and I think I created a pretty convincing tan leather interior for the ZR1.

I'll give it a bit and do a bit of a wash to see if the seat details pop a bit better, but I am pretty happy with it so far.

IMG_0947.jpg.d89864d5c9e4006bee238712952c304e.jpg

Washer fluid... What? Why? 

It gave a convincing leather though.

8 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Washer fluid... What? Why? 

It gave a convincing leather though.

Truly, I do not have the answer to the science behind how it works, I am sure someone smarter and more experienced than me can chime in if they stumble across this thread.

That being said, I did a bit of searching after I originally asked about it a few weeks ago and found numerous examples of guys that had success using it as a thinner, so I went with it!

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Very nice color!

Thanks Carl!

When you are colorblind, you never quite know if you are seeing what everyone else is seeing (in fact, you can often bet that you aren't).

I've been called out for using some odd color combos throughout my life, from clothing to paint and everything between, that weren't quite what I thought they were.

I think have a decent handle on browns though!