Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tennessee Volunteer #14 BGN

Volzfan59

ย Finished my Sterling Marlin #14, Tennessee Volunteer Monte Carlo BGN car. She's not perfect by any stretch, but looks great on the shelf. I'm a life long TN Volunteer fan or VFL (Vol for Life).

Edit: Heck, I saw my friend Duane Garner's reply and realized that I forgot to give him credit for the hood. The original kit hood crazed very badly, the worse I've ever experienced. He sent me a new hood to complete the build.

IMG_20240229_150540103.jpg

IMG_20240229_150529433_HDR.jpg

Edited by Volzfan59
Forgot to give credit to my friend
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

My wife is a huge Tennessee Vols fan-football and basketball. We drive down from Cincinnati to Knoxville and attend 2-3 games a year. And were a huge fan of Smokey too! She's a NASCAR fan to a lesser extent. I've got to build one of these for her! Can you please tell me Steve, what kit did you use to build this? And the color you used looks spot-on for Vols orange. Nice job!

ย 

ย 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Safire6 and @Horrorshow, First thanks for looking. I used the Monogram Terry Labonte Kellogg's kit, it's the correct body as far as I can tell. I did lower the ride height a little. The paint is Rust-Oleum gloss "real orange" sprayed over white primer. I took the decal sheet and a picture of the Sterling's 1:1 race car plus wore a TN Vols shirt to Walmart and got the closest color I could find. The decals are from 3 Amigos. In retrospect I wish that I had hit it with a coat of gloss clear. Maybe next time. Thank you for your kind comments, Go Big Orange!!!

ย 

Edit; The Terry Labonte Kellogg's kit is Revell Monogram #85-2479. The Jeff Gordon Revell Monogram kit #85-2476 would work as well.

Edited by Volzfan59
Added Kit numbers

9 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Nice job. Pics are a bit on the large side.

Thank you and I don't disagree about the picture size. I don't know how to reduce picture sizes from the gallery on my phone.

On 3/19/2024 at 10:33 AM, Volzfan59 said:

@Safire6 and @Horrorshow, First thanks for looking. I used the Monogram Terry Labonte Kellogg's kit, it's the correct body as far as I can tell. I did lower the ride height a little. The paint is Rust-Oleum gloss "real orange" sprayed over white primer. I took the decal sheet and a picture of the Sterling's 1:1 race car plus wore a TN Vols shirt to Walmart and got the closest color I could find. The decals are from 3 Amigos. In retrospect I wish that I had hit it with a coat of gloss clear. Maybe next time. Thank you for your kind comments, Go Big Orange!!!

ย 

Edit; The Terry Labonte Kellogg's kit is Revell Monogram #85-2479. The Jeff Gordon Revell Monogram kit #85-2476 would work as well.

Thanks for the details Steve! I'll see if I can locate one of these kits. Go Vols!

ย 

• Like 1

Steve, I don't know how others do their downsizing, I e-mail the gallery photos from my phone to my PC. I use the jpg. downsizing feature of the PC by right clicking and hitting downsize. I usually save them at 850x638. Don't know if this helps you at all, hope someone has a way to help you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Steve, I don't know how others do their downsizing, I e-mail the gallery photos from my phone to my PC. I use the jpg. downsizing feature of the PC by right clicking and hitting downsize. I usually save them at 850x638. Don't know if this helps you at all, hope someone has a way to help you.

Thanks for the help Dan. Right now I'm operating off of only my phone. I am going to get a new lap top at some point this year. Hopefully then I can figure it all out.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Keef said:

Absolutely beautiful work!! Born and raised in the Chattanooga area so from one Vols fan to another GBO!!!! VFL!!! ๐ŸŠย 

Thanks Keef! Born and raised in Knoxville, lived in Nashville for 15 years. Retired in 2013, moved to Arkansas. GBO, definitely a VFL ๐Ÿงก๐ŸŠ

• Like 1