Model Cars Magazine Forum

#TRoG-IM-2024 The Race of Gentlemen In Miniature 2024 community group build

Good day one and all.

Last year Charles @Calb56 started a community group build titled "Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread" in which the idea and intent was a community group build of models in the spirit of "The Race of Gentlemen" https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/ .

That community group build ended on December 31, 2023 - sort of  ... 

Community group builds here on the model cars mag forum usually don't have many if any hard and fast rules and so the "Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread" sort of just continued - but not really.

There were a number of recent posts to that old community group build hinting at the desire that it continue on into this year. The thought occured that there was interest in continuing such community group build that it may be of benefit to start a new topic for new community group build for 2024 - with Charles' blessing and encouragement, I volunteered to oversee the creation of new a community group build for 2024 thus "#TRoG-IM-2024 The Race of Gentlemen In Miniature 2024 community group build" was born.

I fussed over the title for a while as I wanted something a bit different than just using TROG. Something as unique as possible but not overly long or complicated should make it easy to search on hence my chosen title for this topic. It is a working title and if anyone has any better suggestions then speak up.

The spirit and intent of this community group build is the same as that envisioned by Charles in his original topic: 

which in the short term you can reference for details.

This is a link to the details for cars for TROG entries. Keeping in the spirit of TROG we should try and stay as close to these as possible. However, also keeping in the spirt of TROG there can always be some leeway - after all, the spirit of TROG is to have some good old fashioned fun playing and racing old cars so too the spirit of The Race of Gentlemen In Miniature 2024 community group build is all about having an enjoyable time building something in miniature.

So, start something new, finish something started but not finished last year or something set aside years ago. Pass the word around, Start a TRoG-IM build in your local club, mention in passing or start something in your Youtube postings. Jump in and enjoy the journey.

And by the way, bikes are a part of TROG too.

More details to follow ...

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Good day all,

The Official TROG rules for cars and bikes can be found on the the TROG web page:  https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/entry

After some thought, for our purposes I have taken the liberty to amend those slightly while trying to keep within the spirit of The Race Of Gentlemen event and our The Race of Gentlemen In Miniature community group build the idea being to be a bit more inclusive and hopefully encourage participation.

Herewith, the basic requirements, edited from the original found on the above noted web page, for clarity:

Vehicles

Basic: 

Year: Bodies must be 1934 or older, pickups are acceptable, American made only.

Engine: American made 4 cylinder and V8 flatheads 1953 or older. 

Early OHV:

Year: All cars or trucks up to 1941, American made only. All cars or trucks will need to be hopped up, cut down or customized in a traditional late 1940s to early 1950s style.

Engines: OHV 1953 or older, American made only.

DRAG/RAIL:

All Entries must use stock model T or A frames only.  Wheel base or front and rear axels may move or be altered in either direction. Acceptable engines are, FLATHEAD 4, FLATHEAD V8, STRAIGHT SIX and OHV 1949-1953. No bodies or tin is allowed in the drag class, only a small firewall if desired. Roll bars must resemble safety bars of this era. Square bars, round tube only.

Running gear: 1953 or older. Ford banjo, quick change, or period correct pre 1953 non Ford rear ends for non Ford vehicles rears only. 

Wheels & Tires: Stock wheels preferred. No aggressive knobby or paddle tires. No wood T wheels. No modern wide slicks

Paint: Period paint that emulates the early days of racing. No late model graphics, No vinyl stickers or emblems, etc. Cars can be shiny, primed or have old paint. 

Cars must have visible race numbers. 3 number maximum. Numbers should appear utilitarian, not modern or fancy. Paint, white masking tape or shoe polish also accepted.

Headlights are optional.

Fenders are optional.

Full exhausts or open headers, the choice is yours.

A vintage style round or square roll bar is needed on roadsters. 

TROG does have a class for bikes, pre 1947 American made ( see above noted TROG web page ) which is quite limiting due to the available model kits that fit this requirement. There are a few 1/48 and 1/35 scale and only one ( that I can find ) 1/9 scale ( Italeria issue of an old ESCI kit ) Harley WLA types so there is not a lot choice. There is a 1/9 scale period Triumph 3HW that could be included if anyone wants to build a bike. Suggestions?

Subject to tweaking and clarification, nothing is absolute or carved in stone, we don't want to get mired down fussing over nits.

Comments, suggestions, yays or nays are appreciated.

cheers, Graham

Edited by ColonelKrypton
correction
  • Like 1

A quick search using Google will find many results for TROG or "The Race of Gentlemen".

For some inspiration, here are some links to Motor Trend web pages:

https://www.motortrend.com/s/the race of gentlemen/

https://www.motortrend.com/s/trog/

Lots of pictures and lots of ideas.

A similar search of Youtube will also provide many results.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+race+of+gentlemen

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=TROG

Anyone remember what kind of bike Eric von Zipper ( as played by Harvey Lembeck ) rode in the Beach movies?

How about Marlon Brando in "The Wild One" ?

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

Good day all,

First off, if it was not clear, this community group build is ongoing and is for 2024 which implies the start should have been January 1, 2024 - but, we got a late start. Unofficial end will be December 31, 2024.  After that, it there is still some interest, I propose the creation of another similar community group build for 2025, and so on.

On another note, I spend a lot of time on Britmodeller where group builds are very popular with many participants and are well organized. Typically for any given community group build there is one common discussion topic and then each participant creates there own work in progress ( WIP ) topic in which they post about their build.

For anyone interested in participating in this community group build - what are your thoughts? 

Should we encourage the use of the main topic for discussion purposes on the community group build and encourage individuals to create a WIP topic within one of the "On the Workbench" as appropriate sub forum areas posting a link to their WIP topic OR just have everyone post to the main discussion topic within the community build sub forum area?

cheers, Graham

Good Monday morning all,

There being no opinions expressed one way or another regarding my question on whether to post all within the main community group build topic or just to save that for chat and for the builder to have their own WIP topic; an executive decision was made and that is to simply leave it up to the individual. So, someone like @Ulf who started a fabulous build in the original TROG community group build and then carried on in his own WIP could continue to do so but would still be most welcome to continue his build as part of this #TRoG-IM-2024 The Race of Gentlemen In Miniature 2024 community group build.

Bikes are big part of TROG but I have not had much luck in finding suitable model kits of early American motorcycles. There is an Italeri 1/9 kit of the Harley Davidson 1942 WLA as used by the US Army and a couple of Italeri and Miniart 1/35 of the same. I am tempted to have a go with the Italeri 1/9 WLA but the kit does not seem to be very common and a bit on the pricey side. Besides, bikes are not really within my usual interest and it has been many decades since I last tried my hand at model motorcycle kit - the old Revell ( I think ) Triumph drag bike. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained and having a go at something outside my usual interest is often times reason enough. 

I will leave you with the following youtube ( just a few of many ) links for inspiration:

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:42 AM, ColonelKrypton said:

Good Monday morning all,

There being no opinions expressed one way or another regarding my question on whether to post all within the main community group build topic or just to save that for chat and for the builder to have their own WIP topic; an executive decision was made and that is to simply leave it up to the individual. So, someone like @Ulf who started a fabulous build in the original TROG community group build and then carried on in his own WIP could continue to do so but would still be most welcome to continue his build as part of this #TRoG-IM-2024 The Race of Gentlemen In Miniature 2024 community group build.

Bikes are big part of TROG but I have not had much luck in finding suitable model kits of early American motorcycles. There is an Italeri 1/9 kit of the Harley Davidson 1942 WLA as used by the US Army and a couple of Italeri and Miniart 1/35 of the same. I am tempted to have a go with the Italeri 1/9 WLA but the kit does not seem to be very common and a bit on the pricey side. Besides, bikes are not really within my usual interest and it has been many decades since I last tried my hand at model motorcycle kit - the old Revell ( I think ) Triumph drag bike. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained and having a go at something outside my usual interest is often times reason enough. 

I will leave you with the following youtube ( just a few of many ) links for inspiration:

cheers, Graham

One possibility for motorcycles for TROG projects is the 1/25th scale Indian Ace/Henderson (take your pick) bike in the MPC 1932 Chrysler Roadster kit.  This one was a gluebomb recovery built from the original 1966 MPC kit release, which was the only source for the bike until the most recent Round 2 reissue of the original kit a couple of years ago.  The spoked wheels are plenty crude, but replacing those with a better substitute would go a long way toward a nice replica, as the rest of the kit is very nicely rendered.   TB  image.png.27a85d0e2d47b220e7e8abd80c2bfb22.png 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those who missed it in the earlier (2023) community build thread, here is a link to the "Vintage Beach Racing" theme at the 2017 NNL Nationals....

Some pretty inspirational projects posted there might serve as good inspiration for your 2024 community builds...

From John White:

image.png

From John Strick:

image.png

From Tom Woodruff:

image.png

From Ken Krawler: 

image.png

At the "entrance gate"...

image.png.f225f68f21e0c4da514c6c35c7332b4a.png

Best wishes from this corner for your own 2024 TROG projects...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I will definitely keep my eyes on this and will participate if I can. I have the same build I planned for 2023 rattling around in my head, would love to see it manifested in reality someday.

Thanks for reviving this Graham

• Like 1