Model Cars Magazine Forum

Propping open a hood for an Out-of-the-Box build?

8 hours ago, SDC said:

Well, I received an answer (in blue).  It seems like they are very laid back, and many of you were spot on with your recommendations. 😀

Lol, the debate of the century...
Depends...
you can have the hood open, closed, on the table next to it.  Just realize if open, everything is judged.  Can't scratch build parts or add wires.  The best thing to do is lay the hood next to the car.  That is what I've seen at other shows.
Try not to over think as we're pretty laid back about things.  Some car clubs or car shows are pretty strict about stuff, but we try not to.  As long as you try to meet the intent of the category, we're happy.

Yes, as I mentioned, every club is different, that is why to avoid problems it is best to ask someone in the club.  Looks like you are good to go, no matter what method you choose.

This whole debate makes me cringe. OOTB builds seem to have been a solution that pleases nobody except those who live to follow rules, and then enforce those same rules on others.

I think I'll avoid ever labeling a kit build "Box Stock' just to stay clear of the issue.

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

This whole debate makes me cringe. OOTB builds seem to have been a solution that pleases nobody except those who live to follow rules, and then enforce those same rules on others.

I think I'll avoid ever labeling a kit build "Box Stock' just to stay clear of the issue.

Not sure why the hate.  Most contests have this class for modelers who simply want to build a model as it came from the kit's manufacturer, without any aftermarket items added. Some modelers just want to keep their builds simple, or they don't feel they have the skills to come up with a model will fairly compete in standard classes.

Since it is a judged class, the rules are there so someone doesn't sneak in a model with extra details added.

Here are the rules my club uses for that class:

BOX STOCK: Finishing materials such as paint, metal foil, flocking and/or aftermarket decals are allowed. No other modifications or added details are permitted except as follows: Putty may be used to fill seams and/or to correct manufacturing flaws such as sink marks. Removal of details such as door handles, chrome trim or incorrect/extraneous underbody details are also allowed. Kit instructions MUST accompany the entry.

Edited by peteski