Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Boss Mustang 302

Hi guys!

Time for another build :D Decided to take a small break from pure breed Mopars and try to build some Ford cars. So first up is the Boss Mustang. Im not planning to do anything crazy with it - just a simple out of the box build.

2yO4WF8.jpeg

Lets see how it goes :D

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SDC said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your build since I plan to do this one soon as well.

Have you decide on colors already?

Havent decided yet. I do have a bottle of Mercedes Crystal palladium that i was thinking of using. Might look cool in that

Day 1: Miscellaneous painting :D

At first look, the kit seems pretty ok. Seems to be much easier than the Charger kit. There is some issues with the front end fitment, but nothing major. So, i started by painting some random bits and pieces.  
DLqIFMd.jpeg

Taking pretty easy with this model. Just a simple black interior with black seats.
2AjWzMO.jpeg
vKFqydz.jpeg

• Like 1

Day 2: Painting!

Finished up some of the bits:
oKOjCi3.jpeg
9KzQgZl.jpeg

T03Tq3s.jpeg

Then it was bodywork time (yup, i do my paintings on my kitchen countertop 😁)! 
cZiaKNo.jpeg

The front end had some fitment issues. So, after a bit of modifying and sanding, i got it pretty good.
kgddl6k.jpeg

Then i sanded the whole body down with 600-1000grit sponges and off to the paintbooth it went. 
xvaPVZc.jpeg

I sprayed the body with the surfacer 1000 primer. Then did some more sanding. I must off scratched the left hand side door with my scribbing tool. The scratches were pretty visible after the primer coat. So i had to do a bit of repair work.
tNxCrZ3.jpeg
x2dQjt1.jpeg

After that, i sprayed the body once more with the surfacer 1000. Got it pretty smooth.   
tnLIMj7.jpeg
BkSw9ET.jpeg

Then it was time for the final coat. This time i used the surfacer 1500 white primer.
BHxHuuF.jpeg
RuMOoN8.jpeg
6kmSkv5.jpeg

After that, i did some painting :D 
pXzXOEs.jpeg
IpVpFTR.jpeg
wyiH8v9.jpeg

qP3k1yn.jpeg

Came out pretty good. The paint itself has some silver glitter in it too - looks pretty awsome.

• Like 4

Day 3: Engine

Had some spare time this evening so i did some engine work.

First i did some minor paint repairs. Then i installed the valve covers, intake manifold and oil filter
VA1JjYs.jpeg

Then did some more painting
bJxLUmJ.jpeg

And then some more 😄
CypwANi.jpeg

• Like 2

Day 4: Decals!

So, ive been a bit sick for a couple of days now (damn covid). Did some painting, but didnt have enough energy to take pictures. Painted the trunk, the engine compartment and the hood. 
Somehow i screwed up the tapework on the body. The result is that the paintline wont line up with the hood. 
llAt4M0.jpeg

Dont really know how it happened - i did doublecheck, but still missed it. 

The trunk on the other hand came out pretty good.
z22WUv7.jpeg

So, next up was decals (random roll of toiletpaper is actually a great tool 😁)
m3cvh4b.jpeg 

Did some extra planning and cutting of the decals to hide the paint screw up. Got pretty lucky with it - managed to hide it completely.
k2sOwFe.jpeg

I'll let it dry for a day or two before doing the other side. Dont really have the energy to do it - Right now, i need my tea and sleep :D
4jSP5LL.jpeg 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

Coming along very nicely. I too have not been touching my current project. Came down with Covid last weekend and just starting to feel even mobile again. :(

I know how you feel :D Covid sucks

17 minutes ago, Simo5555 said:

Your model looks awesome, dont beat yourself up over that :D Blue looks really good on it - what color is that?

Tamiya TS54 Light Metallic Blue over gray primer. I liked it at first when I painted it(2 years ago) but after seeing yours I should have gone with a different color.

1 hour ago, Noah H. said:

That model's looking great! I've seen this kit before, but have never heard much about about it, so I'm interested to see it being built up.

So far seems like a solid kit. Minor issues with the front end fitment and one of the dash decals doesnt quite want to fit. But other than that, its a fun build

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pierre_tec said:

Looking good, and look so nice out of the different normal red/ orange / blue that most are painted

btw, I remember when my Tamiya paint stand look like that! Lol

Thank you! Its an awesome stand by the way. Havent used it much yet - it will get dirtier 😁  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, slusher said:

What brand and colo did you use on your mustang, I missed it somewhere?

Paint is called Mercedes Crystal Palladium by Gravity colors sprayed ontop of the white primer (Ford-purists, dont hate me 😁). If i remember correctly, it should be the factory paint for some of the newer Mclaren supercars.

Edited by Simo5555