Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best beginner Fusion 360 Project

Hello everybody, I was wondering what would be a good project to start with in Autodesk Fusion 360 to get into the world of designing model car/truck parts. This has always been an interest to me. As a student in a machining program at my local Community college, I was able to download the student/educational version of Fusion 360. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Mathew, I started solid modeling about two years ago using Freecad , which is also parametric like Fusion 360. Watching Youtube videos helps a great deal. 

My first effort to model something I needed, was a Volkswagen steel wheel. I gathered photos of the wheel and also found a cross section drawing. I was able to import the drawing into Freecad and scale it to size. I drew the geometry to emulate the backside of the kit wheel so that when it gets 3D printed, it will fit into the kit tires. Then I rotated the geometry and punched in the slots and added fillets. I haven't printed them yet though. Trying to draw up a bunch of things to print over a weekend when I can exhaust the resin fumes out of my basement. This is also my first time posting pictures, so I hope this turns out OK. Good luck. 3D modeling and printing has consumed a lot time that otherwise would be used to build models. But hey, I'm having a blast.

image.jpeg.f717f7f3c36bc5cde8dd017a50025cf7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f94054433cc809f185dcfc88f203c9ee.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.19a3d27aa2d3cbce7829a4f18a742589.jpegimage.jpeg.3c654021aa6cfcaec34ea686037f43fa.jpeg

On 3/9/2024 at 9:00 PM, olschoolkid said:

Hello everybody, I was wondering what would be a good project to start with in Autodesk Fusion 360 to get into the world of designing model car/truck parts. This has always been an interest to me. As a student in a machining program at my local Community college, I was able to download the student/educational version of Fusion 360. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd start simple, and with something you actually need/want. It makes all the patience needed easier.
My first part was a pipe clamp I need in a different size than what I had. I threw a few other early designs in there too.
The more you do, the easier it gets so just get started.

First Duplicated Part.jpg

Lo-Rise Gen 3 Hemi Manifold.jpg

C-Cab Truck a.jpg