Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo/Montone dump body

1 hour ago, Jürgen M. said:

Looks great! 👍 Beautiful build!

Is that the Diamond Reo Kit from Amt?

Just asking because the cab looks exactly like the Autocar and the Western Star cab.

Seems that they use the same cab in several kits.

I noticed that as I used the Autocar to build the Diamond T "Spider Mike" and the Western Star for the Brockway "Widow Woman".

They both had the same cab!

Thanks! Yep,,,AMT ,dump body from the Autocar kit ,,,and yes even the 1:1 cabs were similar

...........well in between all the rain and earthquakes this week some progress has been made ! Cab and hood mounted ,dump body mounted temporarily to check exhaust height.Luberfiner and hoses run, power steering lines run and I cobbled up a reservoir , Farr air filter and inlet piping to turbo fabbed up and installed , exhaust piping and muffler nailed on .Batteries-cables, drivers side fuel tank and fuel lines next

reo10.jpeg

reo11.jpeg

reo12.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

Thanks! Yep,,,AMT ,dump body from the Autocar kit ,,,and yes even the 1:1 cabs were similar

Amazing how many Kits have the same cab!

Just for comparison:

Autocar A64B cab:

IMG_20240406_061938_855.thumb.jpg.9cd293e97e2817b93ad0a8fc6788c8e1.jpg

White Western Star cab:

IMG_20240406_061946_525.thumb.jpg.5ddafd3d356d4cb0615d3729149a4d73.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:11 PM, Scott Eriksen said:

...........well in between all the rain and earthquakes this week some progress has been made ! Cab and hood mounted ,dump body mounted temporarily to check exhaust height.Luberfiner and hoses run, power steering lines run and I cobbled up a reservoir , Farr air filter and inlet piping to turbo fabbed up and installed , exhaust piping and muffler nailed on .Batteries-cables, drivers side fuel tank and fuel lines next

reo10.jpeg

reo11.jpeg

reo12.jpeg

Wow that looks good

On 4/6/2024 at 5:24 AM, Jürgen M. said:

Amazing how many Kits have the same cab!

Just for comparison:

Autocar A64B cab:

IMG_20240406_061938_855.thumb.jpg.9cd293e97e2817b93ad0a8fc6788c8e1.jpg

White Western Star cab:

IMG_20240406_061946_525.thumb.jpg.5ddafd3d356d4cb0615d3729149a4d73.jpg

I don't want to hijack the thread but I think it's linked to them both being owned by White Trucks at one time, they owned Reo and Sterling too at one point if I remember correctly. There was a lot of component sharing. 

Edited by Rockford
Text editing

6 hours ago, Rockford said:

I don't want to hijack the thread but I think it's linked to them both being owned by White Trucks at one time, they owned Reo and Sterling too at one point if I remember correctly. There was a lot of component sharing. 

Could be! I thought amt wanted to keep variations at a minimum.

Hey Gary, sorry for the excursion but I was just surprised to see the same cab again. 😊

17 hours ago, Rockford said:

Yep! Same with Brockway and Mack cabs

Dont forget the Hayes trucks,a canadian manufacturer that used the Mack cabover cabs on their trucks,around the early 70's  then they used the peterbilt cab in their final years.Also the cab from the ford C-600 was used on some Mack cabovers back in the sixties?.There was a lot of outsourcing back in the day.  harvey

On 4/6/2024 at 2:11 AM, Scott Eriksen said:

reo10.jpeg

reo11.jpeg

reo12.jpeg

Love that paint job and the decals! Beautiful! 

👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jürgen M. said:

May I ask where you got the exhausts or did you make them yourself? They look so perfect!!

The mufflers and shields are Auslowe,,I made up the pipes going to them with aluminum tubing and parts from other kits

.............starting to get nice out which means yard work and sitting out on the deck,,,but anyway,,,a little more progress made- dump body mounted,,fabbed up telescopic aluminum tubing to replace the plastic hyd rams in the kit (wont stay up without a prop though) ran the air brake/fuel lines some brackets have to be made yet.Made a PTO and direct drive dump pump and hyd reservoir.Installed radiator stay rods .Made and installed rubber mudflaps-fronts need the carriage bolts in the fenders yet.Painted the Dayton spoke wheels,brake drums and mounted with Jamie's tires (I was going to use 2hole Budds but only had 20") Installed aluminum tube driveshafts with slip yokes.Front bumper mounted ,,wip making better brackets. Rain tomorrow so I'll probably shoot the mirrors/cab lights and airhorns/headlight buckets/door handles and front signals with Alclad ,,come up with some tail lights.Grill needs some more black wash ,,I was going to drill it all out but.... I'm going to  make up an electric tarp deal,picked up some fabric at the Dollar Tree !  

reo13.jpeg

reo14.jpeg

reo15.jpeg

reo16.jpeg

reo17.jpeg

reo18.jpeg

reo19.jpeg

reo20.jpeg

image.png

• Like 1

.............another crappy day ,,couldn't work outside so I finished up the Reo....put on all the do-dads ,lights..made the tarp mechanism ,,west coast mirrors with spots ,the kits mirrors weren't too bad so I used them instead of making a set out of aluminum tubing ,,,undecided on doing some weathering or not,,,maybe get some HO scale coal to use as asphalt .Think I'm going to build another Super Stock Hemi car next,a small inbetweener from the trucks 

reo21.jpeg

reo22.jpeg

reo23.jpeg

reo24.jpeg

reo25.jpeg

reo26.jpeg

reo27.jpeg

reo28.jpeg

• Like 2