Model Cars Magazine Forum

LE MANS 2009 BUILDOFF

3men2s

I KNOW WHAT FOXER IS SAYING

AND I KNOW I SET THE RULES

BUT THE MAIN REASON FOR THIS BUILD

IS TO HAVE FUN AND GET TO KNOW PEOPLE.

SO FAR GT FANS ARE COMING OUT OF THE WOODS.

FOR THAT REASOND I AM NOT MAKING A BIG DEAL

OF IT. AT THE END WE ARE LETTING THE FOLKS IN THE FORUM

JUDGE. AT THE SAME TIME YOU NEVER KNOW HOW

THIS THING DEVELOPES.

THINK ABOUT A FUTURE BUILDOFF

WERE YOU HAVE TO CREATE A FANTASY LEMANS CAR

USING ANTIQUE CLASSICS WITH MODERN RACE CARS.

OR CARTOONISH REMDERINGS OF THE 1:1 ETC.

LET'S KICK THIS THING, WHERE IS THE REST

300 + VIEWER AND ONLY 5 BUILDERS....COME ON B)

THE CIRCLE WITH THE NUMBER, GET RID OF IT AND

USE THE STANDARD WHITE SQUARE THAT

THEY USE IN LEMANS WITH ALL THE CERTIFICATES

THEY HAVE.

I have a question for you more knowledge than I. I never realized the white square was always used for numbers , for starters. But whats this on certificates? I do see cars running with like "Le Mans 2008" or some such thing and some graphic. Is there a yearly sticker like this. And some had the class on them .. is this required?

This is interesting and I'm sure you and Cal can get me up to speed on markings.

And I know I'm not following the rules set out for everyone .. just think of me as the the mechanic's coffee gopher sitting in the corner building his go kart which can't compete, but defiantly having fun.

Edited by Foxer

I have a question for you more knowledge than I. I never realized the white square was always used for numbers , for starters. But whats this on certificates? I do see cars running with like "Le Mans 2008" or some such thing and some graphic. Is there a yearly sticker like this. And some had the class on them .. is this required?

This is interesting and I'm sure you and Cal can get me up to speed on markings.

And I know I'm not following the rules set out for everyone .. just think of me as the the mechanic's coffee gopher sitting in the corner building his go kart which can't compete, but defiantly having fun.

The Cert sticker has the event, class, date, I will have to look at one again to tell you all the specifics. Yes, required on all the cars, I will try to get a date when this started.

Must have been late 1980s early 90s they started standardizing the number more, but for a long time before that the number had to be on a white background.

ok. i have been following this thread and think it is a great idea. ;)

i have decided to do a build a car that was suppose to run the 1976 le mans during Bill Frances' attempt to internationalize NASCAR. everyone remembers the Olympia Charger and the Truxmore Torino. IMSA NASCAR GT.

well i want to finally attempt to build, what i think could have been a car to be reckoned with on the circuit de le sarthe.

1975nascargttorino.jpg

holman moody prepped Boss 429 in a '73 Torino, built by the Bowsher brothers. it won it's class at the Daytona 24 hours and was going to Le mans. that is until John Holman passed away. the car was parked. too bad.

so danny, will this work for the build off? :)

There are about 6 stickers that I know of that come to mind. Two on the body; one is an event sticker which is a long rectangle and the other is a class sticker which is shorter and more squarish. There are two stickers on the inside of the car; one is to certify the roll cage and the other is usually on the fire wall to certify the chassis. The next two are on the engine block and on the transmission housing. There's quite a few more that would be on all the electronics. All are required.

i have decided to do a build a car that was suppose to run the 1976 le mans during Bill Frances' attempt to internationalize NASCAR. everyone remembers the Olympia Charger and the Truxmore Torino. IMSA NASCAR GT.

well i want to finally attempt to build, what i think could have been a car to be reckoned with on the circuit de le sarthe.

1975nascargttorino.jpg

holman moody prepped Boss 429 in a '73 Torino, built by the Bowsher brothers. it won it's class at the Daytona 24 hours and was going to Le mans. that is until John Holman passed away. the car was parked. too bad.

so danny, will this work for the build off? :)

:)

oh yeah. if you are talking about vehicles like.......

DSC00581.jpg

i will be a permanent participant. :):D

There was a Torino that actually made it to LeMans, but DNFed, likewise the Camero, and the Dodge Charger.

They had a NASCAR class for a year maybe two.

There was even a Hemi Cuda that came but failed to qualify.

There was a Torino that actually made it to LeMans, but DNFed, likewise the Camero, and the Dodge Charger.

yes CAL, i mentioned the Olympia Charger and the Truxmore Torino.

torino_le_mans_grid_2.jpg

here is the torino on the starting grid. all four american cars were DNF in '76. :)

also notice that the numbers are not on white rondells ( #90 ). i think in order to let the americans in, they went lax on the requirements. the american cars even flew the IMSA stickers.

all in all, i like the idea of a NASCAR GT. if Bill had really invested in the concept, i really think it would have been a hit. the french loved the big

v8s.

Great historic pictures!...Where you got them?

Simón P. Rivera Torres

yes CAL, i mentioned the Olympia Charger and the Truxmore Torino.

torino_le_mans_grid_2.jpg

here is the torino on the starting grid. all four american cars were DNF in '76. :)

also notice that the numbers are not on white rondells ( #90 ). i think in order to let the americans in, they went lax on the requirements. the american cars even flew the IMSA stickers.

all in all, i like the idea of a NASCAR GT. if Bill had really invested in the concept, i really think it would have been a hit. the french loved the big

v8s.

1975nascargttorino.jpg

so danny, will this work for the build off? :blink:

:unsure:

oh yeah. if you are talking about vehicles like.......

DSC00581.jpg

i will be a permanent participant. :blink::lol:

OHHHHH YEAH.....I HAVE READ ABOUT THIS CAR AND WHEN I SAW THAT IT RAN IN LE MANS

IT BLEW MY MIND.......WELCOME, IT RAN ON THE TRACK AND ITS PART OF THE HISTORY

OF IT, IT COUNTS. DEVERSITY, AND EDUCATIONAL AT THE SAME TIME. I WAS THINKING OF THIS CAR

WHEN I WAS CHECKING THE CHEVY MONZAS THAT RAN IN LEMANS.

BY THE WAY I SAW THE TRUCK AND I LOVE IT.......YOU HAVE GREAT TALENT.

I REALLY BELIVE IN "PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH"

SO LET ME START THE PROGRESS PHOTOS FOR THIS BUILD.

PROJECT: 1970 LE MANS WINNER -917K...K IS FOR KICK A!!!

THE PARTS ON THIS FUJIMI ARE STRAIT AND DETAILD.

MOLD LINES R MINIMAL EXEPT ON THE ENGINE COVER

TOP IT HAD TWO CIRCLES AS BIG AS A QUATER

AND I THOUGHT IT WAS PART OF THE BODY, BUT

DID NOT MADE SENCE, SO LOOK AT

REFERENCES AND OUT THEY WENT, SANDED THEM OUT.

I GOT THIS KIT SO LONG AGO THAT I FORGOT THAT I EVEN

GET A STUDIO 27 DETAIL METAL PARTS FOR IT. OHHH YEAH

TO MY SURPRISE :rolleyes:

I WILL START THE BODY, SANDING, BONDO, AND PREP FOR PRIMER.

HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE READY FOR RED MONDAY.

INCREDIBLE THE AMOUNT OF PARTS THIS THING HAS

FOR BEING A CURBSIDE.

I WILL BE CHECKING IF I CAN GET AN ENGINE KIT FOR IT

BUT ONLY IF I CAN FINISH IT FOR JUNE 12, IF NOT

IT WILL STAY CURB SIDE, BUT INTERESTING THAT

THIS FUJIMY...THE ENGINE COVER IS REMOVABLE

AND IT SHOWS DETAIL TOP OF THE FLAT 12...ENOFF TO

GIVE AN IDEA

ALRIGHT...ROUND ONE, TIN!!!!!!! TIN !!!!

Picture060Small-1.jpg

Picture061Small-1.jpg

Picture064Small-2.jpg

Picture066Small-2.jpg

Picture062Small-1.jpg

Picture063Small-2.jpg

page6_blog_entry84_summary_1-1.jpg

I REALLY BELIVE IN "PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH"

SO LET ME START THE PROGRESS PHOTOS FOR THIS BUILD.

PROJECT: 1970 LE MANS WINNER -917K...K IS FOR KICK A!!!

THE PARTS ON THIS FUJIMI ARE STRAIT AND DETAILD.

MOLD LINES R MINIMAL EXEPT ON THE ENGINE COVER

TOP IT HAD TWO CIRCLES AS BIG AS A QUATER

AND I THOUGHT IT WAS PART OF THE BODY, BUT

DID NOT MADE SENCE, SO LOOK AT

REFERENCES AND OUT THEY WENT, SANDED THEM OUT.

I GOT THIS KIT SO LONG AGO THAT I FORGOT THAT I EVEN

GET A STUDIO 27 DETAIL METAL PARTS FOR IT. OHHH YEAH

TO MY SURPRISE :rolleyes:

I WILL START THE BODY, SANDING, BONDO, AND PREP FOR PRIMER.

HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE READY FOR RED MONDAY.

INCREDIBLE THE AMOUNT OF PARTS THIS THING HAS

FOR BEING A CURBSIDE.

I WILL BE CHECKING IF I CAN GET AN ENGINE KIT FOR IT

BUT ONLY IF I CAN FINISH IT FOR JUNE 12, IF NOT

IT WILL STAY CURB SIDE, BUT INTERESTING THAT

THIS FUJIMY...THE ENGINE COVER IS REMOVABLE

AND IT SHOWS DETAIL TOP OF THE FLAT 12...ENOFF TO

GIVE AN IDEA

ALRIGHT...ROUND ONE, TIN!!!!!!! TIN !!!!

Picture060Small-1.jpg

Picture061Small-1.jpg

Picture064Small-2.jpg

Picture066Small-2.jpg

Picture062Small-1.jpg

Picture063Small-2.jpg

page6_blog_entry84_summary_1-1.jpg

There is a trans kit for it. Check Strada Sports.com http://www.stradasportsstore.com/page8.html

CHECKING FOR FIT...ALSO REDUCED THE FAKE BARS

SO I CAN REMAKE THEM WITH PLASTIC TUBES FOR A MORE REAL LOOK.

Picture072Small.jpg

Picture071Small.jpg

Picture070Small-1.jpg

Picture067Small-2.jpg

Picture069Small.jpg

Picture068Small-1.jpg

All those bars held on the body with fiberglass strips.

Carl917-1222-14.jpgCarl917-022304-51.jpg

Edited by CAL

I am fairly new to the hobby, as well as to the forum, but I have wanted to build a race car like a GT car. I halfway built a Taisan Starcard GT2, but it is put away for good now had some beginner troubles with it and the body is pretty much toast.

What would be a fairly straight forward kit with nice detail? I'm thinking a Tamiya kit of some sort. Can anyone recommend a cool kit? something that hasnt been done too many times?

thanks!

Edited by Hemi Killer

OK Danny. i am with you and here are my entries. yup, that is right. i said entries.

BTW, you have a real good start there with your 917. looking good, as always. :lol:

first, a little data about the Bowsher/Purolator Torino. the car itself looks to be a '72 body with a modified '75 front end. as you can see in the photo, the front end is heavily modified. looks to use the rear bumper from a '76 torino. ( notice it is flat ) an ugly and unusual front end treatment. it does add alot of purpose built character, though.

1975nascargttorinofront.jpg

i started with the Model King '72 NASCAR Torino.

DSC00695.jpg

reradiused the rear wheel wells, removed the rockers, flared the rear quarters a little, raised the front wheel well openings and made new, larger front fender flares.

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00696.jpg

here you can see the front end modifications. squared up and flattened.

and now, the other build.

this will be a fantasy build. i bought this kit a couple of years ago with no real idea what to do with it. well, now i know.

DSC00710.jpg

i started out with the idea of a motor swap and a mild modification for a road racer. well, the more i thought about it, the more i wanted to go wilder.

CAUTION: this might freak you out.

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

yeah, i know. i was definitely dropped on my head by the doctor. :D

flared the fenders, sectioned the body and sunk the roof. plans call for an old Alfa four cylinder hanging out back, a whale tail and a shovel nose front end. i know Alfa did not sell one of these micro cars; however, i was thinking about putting a chrome Alfa horse collar grill on it and painting it italian red with Alfa markings. what do you think, not too sacreligious. huh?

DSC00712.jpg

here you can sort of get an idea of how small this little Fiat is.

hope to get them done for this contest.

thanks Danny

Dale, I love it!!!! :) Do I get to drive the 500 for this year or......... ;)

__5Csi5CProductFiles5Ctam24311.jpg

Just bought this yesterday, I might just consider doing it to compete here. What I like the most is that the kit is curbside and with my limited time at the bench it will be perfect!!!

:blink::o I can't wait to see you do this!

I am fairly new to the hobby, as well as to the forum, but I have wanted to build a race car like a GT car. I halfway built a Taisan Starcard GT2, but it is put away for good now had some beginner troubles with it and the body is pretty much toast.

What would be a fairly straight forward kit with nice detail? I'm thinking a Tamiya kit of some sort. Can anyone recommend a cool kit? something that hasnt been done too many times?

thanks!

ANY of them, all of Tamiya kits are great. Get a Sauber C9, that's what I want to build. B)