Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shapeways, TDR Innovations 3D Printing???

Has anyone had success shopping for parts on the Shapeways website, particularly for TDR Innovations items? For several weeks now I have been trying to get information about several of TDR's items for sale, especially their 1/8 Weber Side Draft Carburetors.

According to the website to ask a question about a product you are supposed to click the "Contact The Designer" button on the page for that particular product.  Which I have done twice now in two weeks with no response. I also tried contacting Shapeways customer assistance asking them the same questions but they simply replied that I have to go to the product page and click the "Send message" button (which there is not one) and that they handle the actual production and distribution process and have no in-depth knowledge of the products. The sender also signed off rather oddly I thought - "Best, Merry ???????". I am beginning to wonder are any of these people real?

Anyway, out of frustration I thought I would post this on the forum as I am new to this modern modeling system (about three months now) after being away from model building for many, many years. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Shel 

14 hours ago, Shel said:

Has anyone had success shopping for parts on the Shapeways website, particularly for TDR Innovations items? For several weeks now I have been trying to get information about several of TDR's items for sale, especially their 1/8 Weber Side Draft Carburetors.

According to the website to ask a question about a product you are supposed to click the "Contact The Designer" button on the page for that particular product.  Which I have done twice now in two weeks with no response. I also tried contacting Shapeways customer assistance asking them the same questions but they simply replied that I have to go to the product page and click the "Send message" button (which there is not one) and that they handle the actual production and distribution process and have no in-depth knowledge of the products. The sender also signed off rather oddly I thought - "Best, Merry ???????". I am beginning to wonder are any of these people real?

Anyway, out of frustration I thought I would post this on the forum as I am new to this modern modeling system (about three months now) after being away from model building for many, many years. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Shel 

I haven't shopped there in a while but I do know that the margins are thin for sellers on Shapeways and that its not a profitable setup for them.
TDR does have a FB page and I just checked and there's been no activity on it since December 2023.

Edited by MeatMan
  • Like 1

Hi Meatman,

Thank you for your reply. Well, that seams to explain my experience with them. I think I will just move on, not waste anymore time and just shop elsewhere. 

Shel

• Like 1

I ordered some stuff from shapeways recently, although it was from a different designer (3D model specialties).  Was pretty seamless, parts were printed quick and shipped out sooner than expected, quality was good, they offered two different grades of resin based on how much detail you desire.  Parts were nice and as pictured.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. It is good that you had success with Shapeways. I was already to use them but didn't want to purchase the parts until I understood just what would come in the box. I was interested in the nicely detailed TDR 1/8 Side Draft Weber Carburetor. The digital preview image showed a set of four but the part title and the description of what would come in the box both used the singular tense of the word carburetor. So I tried three times over a weeks time asking if the price listed was for one or for a set of four. I need three and didn't want to pay the listed price expecting a set of four and receive just one. Just a simple clarification was all I was looking for. It is frustrating when a business (TDR) has a contact option on their website but does not respond.

Hi Jim,

Yes, those do appear to be just what I am interested in. They look very good, nice clean detailing. Can you tell me more about them?

I am trying to detail the 1/8 scale Monogram/Revell Jag XKE engine.

Thanks for your reply and interest.

Shel

Those are Weber 45DCOE carbs.   Can print them without stacks, short stacks or long stacks (shown).  I would need to know exact width of bottom flange (mm if possible).  Give me an address and how many you want

• Like 2

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your generous offer. I will work on getting the measurement you mentioned. I had given up on the Weber carbs idea but I will have to see if I can rekindle that fire.

Shel

• Like 1