Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Galaxy lightweight planned build

I am planning to attempt a decent representation of the Tasca 777 lightweight super stock class 427 powered Galaxy. If anyone has built the AMT '63 Galaxy as a lightweight drag car, I would love to absorb your input. Thank you!

9835428.jpg.c8e370d86d20e0d2c95bd0e621dfb4db.jpg

• Like 1

Always nice to see interests in the old Galaxie lightweights. I have built several, along with some 64 model years as well. I agree with Trevor on using the AMT 60 Starliner chassis. Every one of my builds has this chassis under them.  MCW used to have a correct lightweight interior tub, but since he sold the company, I’m not sure if the new owner still produces it. I think the new owner runs Wings, Wheels, and Waves. You might want to check it out. Depending on your choice of build, in drag trim, or street, Speed City resin sells Super Stock legal slicks for that time period. Here are a few pics of the Gas Ronda car with the lightweight interior tub, with a pretty close color match. This was built several years ago. 

IMG_6220.jpeg

IMG_6214.jpeg

IMG_6219.jpeg

IMG_6221.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform
  • Like 4

On 4/6/2024 at 7:51 PM, Bainford said:

I haven't built a lightweight Galaxie (yet), but I recommend picking up a '60 Starliner for its vastly superior chassis, and some good engine parts too. 

Thanks, Trevor, sounds like good advice 👍

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

Always nice to see interests in the old Galaxie lightweights. I have built several, along with some 64 model years as well. I agree with Trevor on using the AMT 60 Starliner chassis. Every one of my builds has this chassis under them.  MCW used to have a correct lightweight interior tub, but since he sold the company, I’m not sure if the new owner still produces it. I think the new owner runs Wings, Wheels, and Waves. You might want to check it out. Depending on your choice of build, in drag trim, or street, Speed City resin sells Super Stock legal slicks for that time period. Here are a few pics of the Gas Ronda car with the lightweight interior tub, with a pretty close color match. This was built several years ago. 

IMG_6220.jpeg

IMG_6214.jpeg9

IMG_6219.jpeg

IMG_6221.jpeg

Thanks for those great photos, Tom. Since I am advised to use the '60 chassis, I assume I will be horrified by the kit chassis when my kit arrives.  Also, I am guessing that I will have screw bosses to fight with at the radiator support. It should be fun. I appreciate the info, Tom!

11 hours ago, Brutalform said:

IMG_6220.jpeg

IMG_6214.jpeg

IMG_6219.jpeg

IMG_6221.jpeg

Mike from MCW  moved down south but still has the resin lighweight interior,...only down side is since his move the resin stuff got way backlogged and he's about 4 plus months to catch up!,he shut down the resin ordering on his web site so you cant even browse for the time being!..btw very nice build you got there! I have the parts on my shelf and the starliner kit to use the chassis that someday I will get around to building.

12 hours ago, Nicholas said:

Mike from MCW  moved down south but still has the resin lighweight interior,...only down side is since his move the resin stuff got way backlogged and he's about 4 plus months to catch up!,he shut down the resin ordering on his web site so you cant even browse for the time being!..btw very nice build you got there! I have the parts on my shelf and the starliner kit to use the chassis that someday I will get around to building.

I don't see a problem with deleting the arm rests and the radio.  If I can bash/ scratch the bucket seats, how much more would it take to make a reasonable facsimile? Rubber floor mat is easy 🤓. Is there a console to be demo'd?

22 minutes ago, customline said:

I don't see a problem with deleting the arm rests and the radio.  If I can bash/ scratch the bucket seats, how much more would it take to make a reasonable facsimile? Rubber floor mat is easy 🤓. Is there a console to be demo'd?

There would be a bit of work involved. I have a pic here of the resin bucket from MCW, that is being used in a current WIP of the Mel Burns 1963 F300 car. This dash is from a kit, but the resin interior does come with a dash that has the radio delete, and bucket seats. 

IMG_8640.jpeg

IMG_8639.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

There would be a bit of work involved. I have a pic here of the resin bucket from MCW, that is being used in a current WIP of the Mel Burns 1963 F300 car. This dash is from a kit, but the resin interior does come with a dash that has the radio delete, and bucket seats. 

IMG_8640.jpeg

IMG_8639.jpeg

Thanks, Tom, do you have photos of the front seats?  I have not yet found good photos of the 1:1 interior.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

As compared to the AMT supplied interior tub. 

IMG_8641.jpeg

Yeah, I see what you're saying. 🤔 

edit: that kit tub looks like a ragtop tub.

Edited by customline

The front seats I do have, but I’ll have to pull them from the stash tomorrow, and get a pic for you. Another builder on this forum, greatly improved the seats, to look like the real actual seats. I’ll see if I can find his build, as it was several years ago. 

I have those decals for the Tasca car as well. I believe that car had a red interior as compared to the tan colored interior that was in other lightweights. Now you got me thinking of doing another lightweight. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I have those decals for the Tasca car as well. I believe that car had a red interior as compared to the tan colored interior that was in other lightweights. Now you got me thinking of doing another lightweight. 

Uh oh....sorry 💩.  I saw the Tasca 777 Galaxy run at Charleston, an old (Navy?) airstrip when I was 11 years young. It left an impression on me. I built the T-Bolt several years ago but gave it to my son who was still living in East Providence, home of Tasca Ford. I have another one to build soon  but want to do the 777 too. After that, maybe the Cobra Jet Mustang. Thank you, Tom, I really appreciate the info and the time it took to find it. I might attempt to scratch the seats from some junk seats I can use as a base. Thanks again!

Edited by customline

5 hours ago, Brutalform said:

You’re welcome Jim. I’m glad I was a help. Keep us posted on your build when you get it going. I absolutely love the old Ford cars! 

Funny how I don't think of them as old. 🤔.......anyway, yeah, me too. Now I gotta find a donor kit 🥺....wish me luck.

On 4/6/2024 at 7:51 PM, Bainford said:

I haven't built a lightweight Galaxie (yet), but I recommend picking up a '60 Starliner for its vastly superior chassis, and some good engine parts too. 

It seems the Starliner kit is seeing some steep pricing as of late 😞. Since there is only one inch of wheelbase difference,  do you think any of the Revell '57 Fords would work?  

9 hours ago, customline said:

It seems the Starliner kit is seeing some steep pricing as of late 😞. Since there is only one inch of wheelbase difference,  do you think any of the Revell '57 Fords would work?  

Just keep your eyes open. Prices and shipping are a bit high, but I’ll bet youll find a kit for a decent price. Not totally sure if the 57 Fords have the same frame? The Starliner chassis only requires minimal work to get it to fit. Even after cutting the radiator support and screw bosses out of the body, and using the Starliner radiator support it’s not too hard. 

IMG_6447.jpeg

IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_6416.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

The last pic is a 64, but it had the support removed. Here it is with the Starliner support.

IMG_6319.jpeg

Ahhhh...OK. thanks for the photos, Tom, these are a great help. The rear end mods look very much like the T-Bolt. I should be able to use my T-Bolt kit for patterns to scratch the mods on the Galaxy rear suspension. To me, the frame on a '57 looks the same but if I can find the '60 kit then that would give me more usable material.  This is terrific. Thanks again. 😎

On 4/10/2024 at 11:27 AM, Brutalform said:

The last pic is a 64, but it had the support removed. Here it is with the Starliner support.

IMG_6319.jpeg

I hope you don't mind me picking your brain, Tom, I don't do this type of build very often and I just hope you can point me in the right direction on some things. I now have both the '63 kit and I found an affordable Starliner (a truly great kit from the looks of it) but it looks like I'm going to need an intake setup to emulate the Tasca car. I think what they ran was a mid-rise Edelbrock with a pair of 650 Holly's. Do you know of an aftermarket caster who has this? I think the 66 427 Fairlane kit might have it but it's getting expensive. Any thoughts?

Thanks, J.

I’m currently working on a 1965 Galaxie R Code, and I was using an intake that was high, because I was using the kit supplied scoop. I changed that to the flat hood, to keep the stock appearance of the car. This car will have a short, oval, Cobra style 2x4 air cleaner, with 427 badging. The hood would never clear this set up. Now with your build, you can probably use a high rise, and add a couple of Fireball Modelworks 650 Holleys, and without using an air cleaner, you might get away with it without clearance problems. Just mock it all up before paint and glue. Also, you should have a dual 4 barrel in your Starliner kit. I’m not totally sure if the original release has the intake, but the later ones do. It’s not a high rise, but I’m using it on my R Code build. This could be another option for you. You mentioned the 66 Fairlane, but you should also consider the Thunderbolt and 65 Galaxie intakes. 

Edited by Brutalform