Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Ford Highboy 8ft Flareside

Story is this was a cab swap and rattle-can paint job in the early 80s and this is a truck in the mid-late 90's used mostly for pig hunting. This was the second build i finished after a long hiatus from the hobby and I reverted back to a lot more hand painting and I used rattle cans instead of airbrush, which I think helped me to finish the project. I had all these parts and plans for the build since early 2020. Since then I moved twice and I wasn't sure if I would ever get this done.

The winch and front bumper are from the Olsen bros. I also added lights from the 30 ford kit to the front bumper and the little step from the Deserter. The bed, wheels, and F250 parts are from fireball. Joseph really nailed it with the whole bed setup. The latches, the wood floor, the tailgate letter stencils, everything is spot on (including the spare tire and rack which I did not use). I want to get another bed to build another one. All the fireball stuff is great, and the olsen bros made an awesome winch and bumper. I wish I took more pictures of the engine. Some of these pictures I wasn't quite finished. Maybe I will take more some day but I wanted to post what I have. I used the straight 6 motor and trans from the 66 ford kit. I'm sure its the wrong trans but it still looks cool on the shelf. I used heat shrink tubing for the end of the tail pipe. I wish I added a gun rack in the cab.

I am more happy to have a build done than have it perfect. Last time around I got really bogged down trying to build and paint everything perfectly, I had a ton of kits 50-60% done but wasn't finishing many completely. Its more fun to just get them done. Actually, it helped me figure out that I'm a perfectionist and that was holding me back in other ways too. But anyway, this was a fun one.

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

• Like 6

Like the overall look of the body and bed finishes. The long bed step side bed would have been a great farm or construction vehicle. The tires look like a good set of mudders. I'll bet that winch cable gets pulled often though.