Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 Dodge D-50 Technical build

Here's my my take on the AMT Dodge D-50 pickup, converted to a paramilitary "technical" truck. Painted with Tamiya spray primer and color coats, then with Vallejo acrylics for weathering and detail. The 50 cal I found on the Shapeways website, which is mounted to a beefed-up version of the roll bar that came in the D-50 kit; I added a second bar, bent from Evergreen styrene tubing. To fashion tread plate for the bed, I used narrow strapping saved from packing materials. I used super glue to attach rows of hex heads from Model Car Garage to "bolt down" the tread plate to the bed floor. The engine is wired with lead core fishing line and soft craft wires. I found the Hello Kitty decals on Ebay from Matt's Decals & Diecast out of Lebanon, Oregon. The first aid kit came from the ICM The Last Bridge figures set, as did the shotgun I mounted to the floor and dash. The grille was a solid piece, but I was able to open it up by grinding away from behind with a Dremel - then I broke a few of the cross pieces to simulate damage out in the wild. I still need to weather the model and build a permanent diorama base, but am pretty happy with the results so far.

ModelD50Technical1.jpg

ModelD50Technical2.jpg

ModelD50Technical3.jpg

ModelD50Technical6.jpg

• Like 4