Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nash Haul-Thrift Wrecker

Here is a funky one: This is an old "cheese-cast" resin kit from SJS Details of Brooklyn, Ohio; mastered by Seeman (according to the box). The kit was incomplete when I got it, but most of it was there.

The Nash Haul-Thrift was made in limited numbers by Nash in the late 40s and early 50s, using body components from the Nash Ambassador. They were very handsome trucks, produced mostly for the export market. A few were sent to local dealers in the US for their own use (typically as wreckers)  but they were generally not for sale to the general public.

This one with came with an Ashton wrecker; I scratchbuilt (crudely) the corresponding Ashton push bumper. Most of the wrecker was scratchbuilt, as well. The truck is detailed as a wrecker for an actual San Francisco Nash dealership, using colors as close to the "official" Nash colors as I could get.

Anyway, enjoy!

Nash 1948 wrecker-4.JPG

Nash 1948 wrecker-5.JPG

Nash 1948 wrecker-6.JPG

Nash 1948 wrecker-9.JPG

• Like 5

12 hours ago, cifenet said:

This is an old fashioned vehicle in a good way.  It actually looks sporty with that sleek cabin with an aggressive windshield angle!  I like it!

I agree; the cab was modified from the Nash Ambassador, which was their top of the line model at the time. To be fair, however, the original casting was a bit wonky, and the proportions of the cab are a little off compared to the 1:1.