Model Cars Magazine Forum

I KNOW I SHOULDN'T HAVE STARTED ANOTHER ONE BUT……1960 AMT CORVETTE!

I have decided to go a different route with my AMT 1960 Corvette! After several times trying to correct the paint job problem and making it worse, stripping it 3 times and sanding, I’ve decided to do my own thing once again! 
I've cut the windshield hoop off and cut the whole interior section out of the body and filled it in with a one seat old Indy car style cockpit. I think this could be the beginning of an outta this world custom 1960 corvette! I’ll post the progress! Thanks! 

IMG_2158.jpeg

IMG_2159.jpeg

IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2163.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

IMG_2167.jpeg

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg

IMG_2171.jpeg

Like your new design. There was a time when two seaters like these owners would have a fabric cover over the passenger area with a zipper in the center so that it could be parked with the cover zipped and no roof or unzipped and just have the driver's area open. 

Hey, are you spraying this stuff out of an airbrush? Because if so, you need to adjust something, that looks like some really tough orange peel. If it's coming out of a can, it's tougher to explain. It looks to me like somehow you've got a lot of paint coming out but it's also drying before it hits the surface. Or something. Alternatively, that could just be sanding dust that you haven't wiped clean - you might want to wash it with a soft tooth brush and dishsoap and let it airdry before painting if that's the case. 

For the finish sanding: you need to take that filler down further so that it feathers. There's a clear dividing line here now - use coarser paper to take it down (I wouldn't go lower than around 320, and use a really light touch), then work your way back up to 800/1200 or so (at least) before primer. You might also want to invest in a scriber (15 bucks maybe) and you could then use it to recut the door jambs and gas cap.  

Just some suggestions. I love the concept. 

• Like 1