Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Mercury Comet A/FX 427

After the big move, I finally got a little bench time in. I saw a YouTube video of this car, and I have one in the stash, plus many of other parts for the build. The 65 Moebius Comet was used for the interior, and floor pan, with the firewall, and fender wells intact, to see how it will all fit. The only problems I encountered was, a little trimming of the rear seat package tray, and the tops of the door panels needed to be trimmed down and sanded smooth. They stuck up past the doors when it was seated into the body. They also needed a little trimming where the panels met the seat. I will be using the 64 dash and steering wheel for obvious reasons as the 65 dash is different. 

IMG_0113.png

IMG_0127.png

IMG_0129.png

IMG_0126.png

• Like 4

The 60 Starliner donated the engine and trans. I’m using a few suspension parts from the Thunderbolt. I drilled the appropriate sized holes in the bottom of the oil pan, and top of the trans so it would be located in the Comet chassis mounting points. 

IMG_0133.jpeg

• Like 3

I grabbed two Thunderbolt  front rims and two steel rims from the parts bin. Added some panel line accent to tone down the chrome. I drilled the rears so studs and ProTech lugs can be added later. Slicks are AMT parts packs sanded with 400 grit paper. 

IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0140.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just a quick mock up of everything. Don’t mind the wheels as they are just resting on there. The cars front will be a tad lower in assembly. 

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_0139.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform
  • Like 3

The hood was removed, and overall this body requires a lot of work. The underneath of the hood had huge thick mold lines, post that needed to go, and then before you add the teardrop scoop, the hood is so thick that it was a little bit of a pain removing the styrene for it. Then when you factor in the panel lines need to be deepened, and sometimes missing with the blade, causing scratches, that had to be puttied, it’s a pain. Also the mirror mounts on the front fenders, and antenna mount on the rear panel was filled. The “Caliente” emblems were removed from the front fenders, and “Comet” removed from the hood. Hood still needs a little more sanding and putty, and cleaning up. Man, do I hate putty! Probably more than foiling.!!

IMG_0134.jpeg

• Like 3

Ive had my 65 for nearly 30 years, my father has had his 427 powered 65 for nearly 40 (hes also a ford/mercury drag race historian) We both want a 64 at some point in our lives. Ill be watching closely!

• Like 2