Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 & 1972 Demon Grilles : Resin

I recently purchased two-each of the resin 3D-printed 1971 & 1972 Demon grilles from eBay via a seller whose user name is brah 61 ,and am awaiting their arrival. 

Apparently, this seller (creator as well ?) has other items available (1988-1997 GMC / Chevy pickup grilles, and later D/W Series updates), and has a 100% positive feedback.

The 1971 grille looks like a nice upgrade over the MPC kit grille, insofar as its separate parking lamps/ turn signals ; but it's that 1972 grille which really got my attention ! Not only is the grille and (separate) parking lamps included, but also includes the 1972 & later "universal" side markers ! 

Here's a link to his eBay page Few Sprues Loose LLC | eBay Stores 

7 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Not seeing any Demon grilles, John. Must be sold out.

Yus , I believe they sold out rather quickly. The 1971 grilles sold out, then were available again a day or two later, after I'd purchased the 1972 grilles. 

Check back daily, is the only advice I can offer. 

I managed to grab two of the 72'Demon grilles before he sold out again,i read that the 72'demon has a different interior,so it will take some work to have a correct 72.

5 hours ago, kelson said:

I managed to grab two of the 72'Demon grilles before he sold out again,i read that the 72'demon has a different interior,so it will take some work to have a correct 72.

Exactly. The MPC 1972 Duster annual has the correct upholstery pattern (for the bucket seat option). I messaged the seller/creator of the grilles and enquired about him doing a 3D print of the correct '72 interior (in addition to a 1973-1974 Dart grille and tail lamp panel). 

18 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Exactly. The MPC 1972 Duster annual has the correct upholstery pattern (for the bucket seat option). I messaged the seller/creator of the grilles and enquired about him doing a 3D print of the correct '72 interior (in addition to a 1973-1974 Dart grille and tail lamp panel). 

Good to know as i have a couple of the 72'Dusters in my stash.,that would be great if he prints some.👍

• Like 1

You also need the base dash for a 72 Demon as it doesn't have the rally dash.  71 was the last year.  I am waiting for him to do another batch also and I have a 72 Duster that is a tad rough in the wings to use as a donor interior.   One other thing the wheels are not correct for a 72 the centers are different.  The new Demon kit wheels are so nice I think I would overlook that !

9 hours ago, drodg said:

You also need the base dash for a 72 Demon as it doesn't have the rally dash.  71 was the last year.  I am waiting for him to do another batch also and I have a 72 Duster that is a tad rough in the wings to use as a donor interior.   One other thing the wheels are not correct for a 72 the centers are different.  The new Demon kit wheels are so nice I think I would overlook that !

Same with the 1971 Sizzler , which has the standard instruments (e.g., same as the Duster non-340). 

Oddly, the Tuff-Grip tiller was standard with the Sizzler , irrespective of power steering - something exclusive to that appearance package. 

1972 was the "acorn" centre caps, yus. IIRC, the MPC 1972 annuals - at least the 1972 Duster kit - still had the 1970-1971 centre caps ; this was corrected for the 1973 models (easily found in the reissued 1975-1976 Dart Sport kits).

The finest aspect of the resin grilles for the 1971 is the separate parking lamps - something which was overlooked in the new-tooling '71 Demon 340. That, and the grille is moulded-open, too.

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Same with the 1971 Sizzler , which has the standard instruments (e.g., same as the Duster non-340). 

Oddly, the Tuff-Grip tiller was standard with the Sizzler , irrespective of power steering - something exclusive to that appearance package. 

1972 was the "acorn" centre caps, yus. IIRC, the MPC 1972 annuals - at least the 1972 Duster kit - still had the 1970-1971 centre caps ; this was corrected for the 1973 models (easily found in the reissued 1975-1976 Dart Sport kits).

The finest aspect of the resin grilles for the 1971 is the separate parking lamps - something which was overlooked in the new-tooling '71 Demon 340. That, and the grille is moulded-open, too.

Good information.

Posted (edited)

And he has Chevy pickup grilles! Finally!  I can build a 454 SS  and not have to find a a way to make headlights. 

To keep it on topic, yes the Dodge and Plymouth grilles are also beautiful.  Thank you for sharing. 

Edited by kurth
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kurth said:

And he has Chevy pickup grilles! Finally!  I can build a 454 SS  and not have to find a a way to make headlights. 

To keep it on topic, yes the Dodge and Plymouth grilles are also beautiful.  Thank you for sharing. 

You could just use the grille from the new '92 kit on the old 454SS kit, it fits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

You could just use the grille from the new '92 kit on the old 454SS kit, it fits.

Yeah, I bought one just for the grille but I don't want to waste the rest of the kit, and I have 3 pickup kits of that generation so I feel like it is a huge waste to buy several kits just for the grille. Or maybe buy his work truck grilles for the donor kits. 🤷‍♂️ Either way more options is always better.

All his stuff looks awesome. That Dodge Truck conversion set is interesting as well. 

• Like 2

I spent quite a bit with him on a lot of his products for future projects.  I can scratch build a 72 Demon bucket seat interior , using plastic, half round and straight plastic pieces. I have some steelies and doggies from Fireball for a future 72 Demon project. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well my 72 Demon grill is on its way.  So I need to find another 71 Demon kit.  I just finished my first kit as a 71.  I think I need to buy Fireball Modelworks 72 rally wheels with the correct centers.  I have a 72 Duster 340 interior tub, seats and dash.  It should fit into the 71 body.   I am going to replicate my 1:1 black 72 Demon 340 with white stripe .  Looking forward to this build.   Attached is the 71 I just finished.  

71 Demon 340.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drodg said:

Well my 72 Demon grill is on its way.  So I need to find another 71 Demon kit.  I just finished my first kit as a 71.  I think I need to buy Fireball Modelworks 72 rally wheels with the correct centers.  I have a 72 Duster 340 interior tub, seats and dash.  It should fit into the 71 body.   I am going to replicate my 1:1 black 72 Demon 340 with white stripe .  Looking forward to this build.   Attached is the 71 I just finished.  

71 Demon 340.jpg

I plan the same thing the only problem i'm finding is i can't find any pictures that has a 72 demon with the seat pattern the MPC 72 'duster front seats has.

39 minutes ago, kelson said:

I plan the same thing the only problem i'm finding is i can't find any pictures that has a 72 demon with the seat pattern the MPC 72 'duster front seats has.

These are the seats in my 72 Demon 340 and I believe they should be the same pattern as the 72 Duster mpc kit.  Obviously not the seats in the new release 71 Demon kit.   

IMG_7028.jpg