Model Cars Magazine Forum

First complete 3D resin kit build, 62 Dodge Power Wagon W100

After FDM printing for a long time I jumped over to resin last fall, I purchased the resin printer in the spring and let it sit in the box, as I read up. After a long learning curve and lots of failures I was able to get consistently good prints. I don't design my own models and buy mostly off of CGTrader. There is a gentleman on that sells car model files on there, this 62 Dodge is one of the models that caught my eye. I now have all the parts printed as seen in the picture, and the Dspiae power sander on the way to help knock down all the small support spots. The chassis took 3 tries to get it right the body, bed and interior all made it on the first pass. This particular model has an actual engine in it, most of the others he sells do not. More pictures after sanding and primer. 

Commentary- Don't jump into resin printing lightly, while the rewards are nice it comes concerns about safety and environment, resin is toxic to wildlife and has to be handled appropriately. I use a corner of my garage but cover it with plastic drop sheets, so I don't turn it into a Super Fund site. 

20240510_081240.jpg

20240522_102955.jpg

• Like 5

Andrey's files are really nice, and when finished can look as good as anything bought in a box. So to speak.

It takes a while to get the printing thing down for sure. You look really close. If I might make a suggestion, try lowering your layer height. I print at .02, and my layer lines are almost non-existent now. Yes, it takes longer, but it's less cleanup after. Plus, I find that printing the bodies on an angle of 22 degrees works really well. Not sure why, but I tried several print angles, and that seems to give me the best results.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish this one up. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, espo said:

Like the subject and the printing looks great. 

Definitely a subject that doesn't get covered much.

I also think I found the guy on CGTrader. He has a lot of interesting subject maters, but sadly no FoMoCo products🥺.

3 minutes ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Definitely a subject that doesn't get covered much.

I also think I found the guy on CGTrader. He has a lot of interesting subject maters, but sadly no FoMoCo products🥺.

For some reason, Andrey removed all of his Fords from CG Trader. They're all still on Cults though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I had a minor mishap, while the primer was drying on the cab, I knocked it off the table I use to set drying parts as I was moving another project, resin does not survive a fall in a Tamiya paint stand from 3 feet up onto a tile floor. But I am printing a new one at the 0.2 resolution as suggested by iamsuperdan, thanks for that suggestion. Work has progressed on other parts, here are the wheels (Pro Acryl Silver with Vallejo Metal varnish) and tires (Tamiya Rubber) and motor (Rustoleum Turquoise, sorry purists). Still working on the chassis, I printed 2 engine blocks so the mockup for motor mounts is being done with the second one, and this one should just drop in, as it always does in model building. 🙂 

tires.jpg

engine.jpg

engine1.jpg

I purchased the Elegoo Saturn 2 8k printer and the washing/curing set. I think for all 3 components it was around $600. It's no longer available but the next modles are better and cheaper. It is nice to have both FDM and SLA printers.

• Like 1