Model Cars Magazine Forum

How To Make Some Easy Driving Lights

Posted (edited)

I have a thing for putting oversized lights on my models. Sadly, not many kits come with them. I ordered some nice ones from SpotModel for another build, but for a new project I need more and don't want to wait for delivery. My wife wanted to go to Hobby Lobby for fabric today, so I wandered around and found the bead and jewel aisle.

I think I've found a way to make my own lights. These are half-round pearl finish gems used to decorate craft projects. The ones in the little package are 10mm and to my eye they are perfect for the 9 inch Super Oscars once used on rally cars. In the side view you can see they are round but slightly flattened. The other multi package ones are self adhesive and come in 6, 8, and 10 mm in one package. I think those might be perfect for smaller driving lights like KCs and such.

To make the lights, I drilled a small hole on the edge of each light and glued a piece of wire in it to act as a mount, and then painted them. I used a gloss black, in preparation for painting them chrome, but now I think I like the black finish better. For the lens covers I used thumbtacks with the tack part cut off. I was going to use some Cibie decals, but they've gone missing in my decal pile, so I used the Marchal ones instead.

I planned on this being a one day project, but the black paint is Behr brand and it's taking its time drying. Should've used the TAMIYA. We are having record hot temperatures this week in Texas. It's currently 98 with high humidity and a tornado watch, so the paint  may take a bit longer to harden.

Anyway, here's hoping this might give some of you an idea for future projects.

drivingLights1.jpg

drivingLights2.jpg

drivingLights3.jpg

drivingLights4ThumbTacks.jpg

drivinglights5Decals.jpg

drivinglights6Painted.jpg

Edited by oldcarfan
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Super idea. I'm also a fan of the big driving lights. They turned out great. Those driving light decals might be difficult for me to find. 

I got the decals from SpotModel, but I've also did a cut and paste method that works too. I found a clear picture of the logo I wanted, copied into Word to size it and then made many more of them. Then I printed them onto white decal paper.