Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jagermeister Race Cars

Kombi

Rather than set up a bunch of individual posts I thought I'd just show off all three of my Jagermeister cars. I've just recently completed the Porsche 365c and the Ford Capri, the BMW was finished a year or so ago.

The Porsche and BMW are both box stock kits from Revell Gmbh and Tamiya respectively. The only modification between these was to add some mesh to the rear of the Porsche. I felt like the gaping hole and empty cavity was a bit much so I improvised a bit. Other than that the Porsche is also missing the car number on the Right side and the windshield banner. I ruined those so I'll have to find a replacement soon.

The Ford is actually the Tamiya D&W car. Given the decals I made the addition of the NACA duct on the hood. As I was wrapping up the build I looked a little closer at my reference photos and realized there's some much more significant differences between my build and the actual car. The two most obvious are that the hood vents should stretch from crease line to crease line and then there's the under-body faring that should extend out and through the rear bumper. I'm sure there's more so this car is really just "representative" of the actual car. :P

So, here's the pictures! To answer some questions up front; yes I'm done with Orange paint jobs and no, I don't like Jagermeister, but I think their logo is pretty cool. :)

#15 BMW 320i Group 5

2009BMW320iGr5Jagermeister003.jpg

2009BMW320iGr5Jagermeister008.jpg

2009BMW320iGr5Jagermeister006.jpg

#1 Ford Capri Turbo Group 5

2009FordCapriGr5Jagermeister001.jpg

2009FordCapriGr5Jagermeister003.jpg

2009FordCapriGr5Jagermeister006.jpg

#1 Porsche 956c

2009Porsche956cJagermeister002.jpg

2009Porsche956cJagermeister008.jpg

2009Porsche956cJagermeister006.jpg

Rather than set up a bunch of individual posts I thought I'd just show off all three of my Jagermeister cars. I've just recently completed the Porsche 365c and the Ford Capri, the BMW was finished a year or so ago.

The Porsche and BMW are both box stock kits from Revell Gmbh and Tamiya respectively. The only modification between these was to add some mesh to the rear of the Porsche. I felt like the gaping hole and empty cavity was a bit much so I improvised a bit. Other than that the Porsche is also missing the car number on the Right side and the windshield banner. I ruined those so I'll have to find a replacement soon.

The Ford is actually the Tamiya D&W car. Given the decals I made the addition of the NACA duct on the hood. As I was wrapping up the build I looked a little closer at my reference photos and realized there's some much more significant differences between my build and the actual car. The two most obvious are that the hood vents should stretch from crease line to crease line and then there's the under-body faring that should extend out and through the rear bumper. I'm sure there's more so this car is really just "representative" of the actual car. :D

So, here's the pictures! To answer some questions up front; yes I'm done with Orange paint jobs and no, I don't like Jagermeister, but I think their logo is pretty cool. :D

#15 BMW 320i Group 5

2009BMW320iGr5Jagermeister003.jpg

2009BMW320iGr5Jagermeister008.jpg

2009BMW320iGr5Jagermeister006.jpg

#1 Ford Capri Turbo Group 5

2009FordCapriGr5Jagermeister001.jpg

2009FordCapriGr5Jagermeister003.jpg

2009FordCapriGr5Jagermeister006.jpg

#1 Porsche 956c

2009Porsche956cJagermeister002.jpg

2009Porsche956cJagermeister008.jpg

2009Porsche956cJagermeister006.jpg

They can call it whatever they want but that is a 962C, you can tell by the space between the rear of the front wheel opening and the door.

Still looks great, but it's not a 956.

They can call it whatever they want but that is a 962C, you can tell by the space between the rear of the front wheel opening and the door.

Your claim here is an interesting one, because while I noted the similarities between the two cars I never paid much attention. So now I've gone and done a bit of research and found out that... the 962C was nearly identical to the 956C with the exception of the wheel base. The IMSA rules changed and stated that the driver's feet had to be behind the centerline of the front axle. So to meet this requirement Porsche simply stretched the wheel base.

I've seen later pictures of the 962 and it looks considerably different as the years went on, but right after the transition it seems you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I've scaled out the wheelbase on my kit and it does indeed come to the 2760 mm wheelbase of the 962 (versus 2650 mm for the 956). So it would seem that this is indeed a 962. ;)

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_962

http://www.roadstersway.com/porsche-956-/-...nce-322514.html

http://962.com/history.htm

http://www.bigporsche.com/962.htm

http://www.bigporsche.com/956.htm

Edited by MkIII

Your claim here is an interesting one, because while I noted the similarities between the two cars I never paid much attention. So now I've gone and done a bit of research and found out that... the 962C was nearly identical to the 956C with the exception of the wheel base. The IMSA rules changed and stated that the driver's feet had to be behind the centerline of the front axle. So to meet this requirement Porsche simply stretched the wheel base.

I've seen later pictures of the 962 and it looks considerably different as the years went on, but right after the transition it seems you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I've scaled out the wheelbase on my kit and it does indeed come to the 2760 mm wheelbase of the 962 (versus 2650 mm for the 956). So it would seem that this is indeed a 962. ;)

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_962

http://www.roadstersway.com/porsche-956-/-...nce-322514.html

http://962.com/history.htm

http://www.bigporsche.com/962.htm

http://www.bigporsche.com/956.htm

:)

We also know that kit is a repop of the Hasegawa 962, Hase never did a 956. I can always tell because the panel width where the side marker is, but otherwise you are correct, it's hard to tell the difference. Also if you get a real wide shot of the car (or model) the 956 looks "stubby", comparatively.

IMSA was afraid of Porsche dominance, they never thought Porsche would go through the trouble of building a new car. They didn’t take into account Porsche’s creativity and stretching the 956 to make their car fit the new rules, and still dominated every road-racing event for nearly a decade. The mighty 962! Never has there been a more dominate sports car to date.

You are right. IMSA rules made it mandatory that the feet of the driver did not go past the front axle. That and that I am not sure they did a 956 in the short tail/high tail configuration.

###### nice car though. i actually get to hang around these from time to time at my buddies Porsche race shop. I have a set of wheel louvers from one of the Miller Beer cars.

You are right. IMSA rules made it mandatory that the feet of the driver did not go past the front axle. That and that I am not sure they did a 956 in the short tail/high tail configuration.

###### nice car though. i actually get to hang around these from time to time at my buddies Porsche race shop. I have a set of wheel louvers from one of the Miller Beer cars.

Yeah, it is actually the correct tail for a Jager 956.

Porsche956WBrun19850802.jpg

It's just not the correct car.

Edited by CAL

nice lookigng build

(not too sure about quotng wikipedia as a source though, they wont let my wife do that in medschool)

had a question though

it looks like (and that just might be it) the capris passenger side wheel has a lower ET then the driverside (gotta keep up with all this sounding carsmart deal)

true or optical illusion ?

For crying out loud Chris you know they were all pretty much the same and looked it too! :blink:

Thinking and sounding like you know all about Porsche :);)

some had stand off wings.

962_Porsche.jpg

and there was a high wing and low wing version.

Porsche_962_1988_Le_Mans_at_Silverstone_2007.JPG

The Jager car ran a 12 hrs of Spa I think

Edited by CAL

And yet another change was in 1988 the rules stated that the top Venturi Tunnel for Ground Effects had to cover(or be lower than) than the rear axles.The Hasegawa 962 is probably an 89 or later version, also the exhaust panel size and panel lines are very different than earlier cars. To accurately do an earlier 962(like the RoG Rothman's car) These details need to be fixed. The Tunnel thing is more work than it's worth though. It would take parts from the Hasegawa 962, Tamiya's 962 and 956 kits to make a fully detailed and accurate 962. And also remember all IMSA cars were single turbo withe rear exiting exhaust and one large intercooler that sat over top the engine.

Nice builds!!!

I just ordered the Porsche kit.

What Orange did you use???

Thanks, I've used the Tamiya Orange, I believe it's TS-12.

As for historical accuracy, I'll leave that to the experts. I'm pleased because it looks neat in the display case. B)