Model Cars Magazine Forum

1989 Ford prerunner.FINISHED! 3/21/07

mhadman

here is something i started earlier this year and am getting back to after a 9 month modeling slump.

this started life as a bigfoot truck that i snagged at a garage sale for 2 bucks..

Wheels are homemade,and i need to thin down the bead lock rings a bit and add bolt heads..

frame and rear fenders were shortened to 6 feet and fenders are about 1/2 way from getting a completed flare job.wheels and tires will tuck in to the front and rear.

original kit front wheel openings were filled in with evergreen sheet in the front bottom area below the doors...

firewall was modified to allow upward wheel travel..suspension both front and rear will be functional.

A arms are mounted and i need to make king pins and steering linkage..

Picture022.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Working on the pilot cage which will be tied into the rear ,engine cage...still a long way to go..

Hey!

I plan on doing a mild flare job on the front...the way i have it set up now,the front tires will tuck into the fenders as is,with a good turn angle on the wheels...i wanted to keep it close to stock truck wheel width dimensions...

As for the a arms,i want to get the king pins in and get some paint on them and then i will post a pic or two...you can look at my link for the 96 chevy build and see the front arms i put on that one..they actually came out better...

Here is a pic from the chevy build..

newfrontend1.jpg

The end result for this build should be to show a beat up old racer that is now used for prerunning courses...

• 2 months later...

I got some bench time today and got my front end(minus steering linkage)done...brake rotors and wheels are nearly complete.I will get about 18 inches of travel at the front wheels and need to trim away more fender for full turn on the wheels.

pic one is ride height and pic two is near full down traved...wheels positionable...

1307e.jpg

1307d.jpg

its still in the ugly stages.. the front end geometry is the hard part,and now that i have it figured out and in place,hopefully the rest will go smoothly..need to open up the upper arms for the shocks to go through,and then i will make the upper and lower mounts..the rear trailing arm assembly is done,tho not shown here...

A friend and fellow builder casted a very nice i beam set up and sent on to me,,,i hope to have it under a ford ranger at some point in the future..I used to be able to watch Trucks on tv,and they put a cool i beam set up on a ranger and got a wicked amount of wheel travel...I liked watching that show...

Anyway,after this build,i hope to build a real race truck,and stick closer to real life components.Some of the parts can be a bear to work with,but i only work on it when i have the patience to...

This is where my chevy was at this stage..

1204054.jpg

and here is where it finished off..

diopicfinal24.jpg

I hope these two will look cool running next to eachother...will update in the near future....My next step is to get the shocks completed and mounted so that i have a rolling chassis..To be continued..

That is a Beautiful machine...I would love the chance to take that out on a course and see what i could do..I am sure i would come back battered and bruised,but it would be fun getting there..lol

Thanks for the pics...i sent you an er mail and it came back,so i dont know if it was you or me..lol

Anyway,this is exactly the type of project i want to do for my next race truck...i love it!!!

This my truck,the rear suspension is not race and probably will not be for a yr or 2, The frt suspension is what they used now for this yr truck,..but this truck will not be raced and is a milder form for my Boat business,so it tows boats still plays hard in the Sand and Dirt of the Outer Banks of NC, ,....The rear 1/4s the hood, frt fendersare fiberglass it will have a Roll Cage,Master Craft Prerunner Seats,but then it has alot of modern stuff thrown in electric windows ,A/C,etc..., I will check my e-mail ,sorry you got bounced I will correct that,

DSC02453.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02464.jpg

DSC02470.jpg

DSC02474.jpg

Oh man Beach,,,your ride Rocks!!

Thanks for the pics and i will take anymore you want to send...

dragon0287@hotmail.com

I bet you cant wait to get it out after a break in and have some fun...

I have my chevy in the garage and have been just cleaning and painting components...waiting till the spring to buy the engine and a few other goodies...its killing me not to drive it..

Anyway,you ever think of building a scale model of your truck?

if so,let me know and i may be able to hook you up with parts..

Also,there is a site i go to specifically for off road vehicles if your interested...

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious, a prerunner is....an off-road racer or is it like those trucks yu see on Speed TV racing around an off-road race track? With fiberglas fenders and tha radiator in tha bed, 4WD or 2WD? :lol:

Just curious, a prerunner is....an off-road racer or is it like those trucks yu see on Speed TV racing around an off-road race track? With fiberglas fenders and tha radiator in tha bed, 4WD or 2WD? :lol:

First off--LOOKS great Mark!!

Coming along good.

Doug R

A "pre-runner" is a term used to describe a type of vehicle used to pre-run an off road race course,such as the baja 500. etc...

Some pre runners can range from the mildy modified pick up truck to a full tube chassis buggy or truck with 30 plus inches of travel.

A pre runner has no specific descrition really.

Marks truck could also be a Class 8 desert racer.

If truly interested,just google "Pre Runner" and you will be busy for weeks.

I hope this helps as a definition for you.

Doug R

• 1 month later...