Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint over clearcoat?

Hey guys,

I have a pretty basic question, I made a small goof on the paint of my 69 Nova after it was clear coated (1 coat of wet) . Do you think I could get away with putting 1 more coat of paint and then re-clearcoat it? God, I hope so! If not the paint looks so good , I would just leave the goof and it would always bother me.

What paint are you using? Spray bomb or airbrush?

Repairs like that are not at all uncommon. What's more uncommon is someone willing to fix it vs. stripping it all off and starting from scratch! Congratulations! I wish more guys wouldn't give up so easily.

Obviously the repair is easier if you are airbrushing. I've been known to mask off an area to repair it so that only that spot gets recoated w/color, I blend it, and then reclear either that section or the whole model. Just depends where the repair is, I make repairs in scale much like they make on 1:1 cars. I hate stripping perfectly good paint. 99% of the time a repair ends up invisible and takes a fraction of the amount of time (and materials) of starting over.

Hey guys,

I have a pretty basic question, I made a small goof on the paint of my 69 Nova after it was clear coated (1 coat of wet) . Do you think I could get away with putting 1 more coat of paint and then re-clearcoat it? God, I hope so! If not the paint looks so good , I would just leave the goof and it would always bother me.

I just did, that more color coat over clear coat on my current project, with Testor's laquer, Fathom Green, over Tamiya clear laquer. It worked out fine. Layed down really nice since the clear had been polished prior to being over coated by the color coat. Part of the reason this worked is Tamiya clear is really thin in terms of coverage thickness even in the case of multiple coats.

Edited by Jason Rothgeb