Model Cars Magazine Forum

HEADER COLLECTORS???

I have tried close to six times to make some header collectors and I just can't get them to to the right shape around the pipes!!!!!!! Does anyone know how to do this without wanting to kill the cat or kids????? I have tried the shrinkwrap and its just not convincing enough to waste my time on, and I have seen people use metal for the collectors, but I can't seem to track them down, so I beg for your help now........ PLEASE HELP ME.

I have tried close to six times to make some header collectors and I just can't get them to to the right shape around the pipes!!!!!!! Does anyone know how to do this without wanting to kill the cat or kids????? I have tried the shrinkwrap and its just not convincing enough to waste my time on, and I have seen people use metal for the collectors, but I can't seem to track them down, so I beg for your help now........ PLEASE HELP ME.

What are your headers made of?If they are solder I would try using aluminum tubing that will fit around all of the header tubes snugly. Cut the tubing to the desired length and install them on the headers.Take a small flat bladed screw driver and gently push the outer tube into the crevaces to seal them to the header tubesthis will make the collector fit the individual tubes while leaving the end that needs the flange round.The other method would involve alot of cutting sanding and soldering and you would have to use brass and then paint.

Here is a method using plastic.I found this from a search.http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial/43

Edited by nitrojunkie

the way i make my headers is with aluminum welding wire. the collecters, i use a plastic drinking straw. its flexible enough so when you slide it over the headers, it stretches just a bit. i dont even glue it on. just leave it, because it is so tight. try it and let me know how you make out

What are your headers made of?If they are solder I would try using aluminum tubing that will fit around all of the header tubes snugly. Cut the tubing to the desired length and install them on the headers.Take a small flat bladed screw driver and gently push the outer tube into the crevaces to seal them to the header tubesthis will make the collector fit the individual tubes while leaving the end that needs the flange round.The other method would involve alot of cutting sanding and soldering and you would have to use brass and then paint.

Here is a method using plastic.I found this from a search.http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial/43

I am using Solder wire. I did try that with the screwdriver, but I was using brass! Aluminum makes much more sense. I think I was using brass because that was the only thing at the time that would fit snugly over the tubes.

THANKS ALOT GUYS!