Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Rat Rod

olarge1

Does it need a flathead! Yes!

Or, wait... a T-bird spec Y-block would be nice. No, no, or a Nailhead, or a... ah, forget it!

Long as it's not another ratty Chevy 350 I'll be pleased!

I thought of a nail head too but dont know of a good kit to get one from?

OK, while I don't build rat rods, (nothing against them, just not my thing), I do appreciate great building & this project is full of that! :lol:

I really like your brake drum tip for the 32 Fords & parts swapping with them & I'm going to try that on one of the 32 Ford kits I have, for a more nostalgic look, (especially when the 5 window coupe with the hairpin radius rods is released). The tip for exposed door frames is also very cool!

Excellent work in so many areas, modification/kitbashing, scratchbuilding, weathering, detailing, & most importantly, keeping true to your vision in the build!

:lol:

Thank you very much for the kind words..

I'd vote Y block, but I am a Y block nut in 1:1 too, 3 dueces, 2x4s, 6 97s, zoomie headers.

I have one here in 1/25 I am building with a roots blower on it for a traditional rod model. I am doing this one backwards - building the model first then the full size car.

Edited by Greg D

I'd vote Y block, but I am a Y block nut in 1:1 too, 3 dueces, 2x4s, 6 97s, zoomie headers.

I have one here in 1/25 I am building with a roots blower on it for a traditional rod model. I am doing this one backwards - building the model first then the full size car.

do you have any pics?...i have been thinking about a blower...

As far as the worn and rusty metal , it looks really good in your photos!

In my opinion, this is really looking a lot like a modern day hot rod that someone put together fast-like to drive. Maybe the owner has plans to resepctively paint it and do some clean work on it. I don't want to offend you, but it doesn't say "rat rod" to me, unless you mean the kind that were around back in the 40's and 50's? If that is what you meant, I think you have it about dead on, but I don't know if they had skull shifters back then.....I wasn't there. :) Just keep having fun with it, looks great with that weathering job you did.

Yea I have stated before that the farther I get in to this build the more its looking to be a an old rod that has fallen in to dis repair... but it is my first atempt @ something like this so Im sure there is a learning curve.. still a big step away from the glossy show cars I usualy build.

Not happy with the photoetch stuff just cant seem to get clean?

2009_0705models0005.jpg

Looks like the Model Car Garage 97's. The p/e stuff on that setup takes fiddly to a new level. Glue drops just don't scale out! :D But those carb castings are to die for and they look great on your flattie!

Edited by gbk1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well I bit off more than I could chew on the Camaro build for ther NNL so thought I would finish this one up and see what happens.. gotr most of the pluming in weatherd the pipes,,,,

I need to find a diagram of how the oil filter is plumbed?

not much more to go should beable to button her up by Sat morrning.

post-4392-1250832900_thumb.jpg

post-4392-1250832931_thumb.jpg

post-4392-1250832965_thumb.jpg

I don't want to offend you, but it doesn't say "rat rod" to me, unless you mean the kind that were around back in the 40's and 50's? If that is what you meant, I think you have it about dead on, but I don't know if they had skull shifters back then.....I wasn't there.

They had skull radiator caps as far back as the '30's. Well- okay, Ed Iskenderian did, and he cast it himself in shop class, but still, a skull shifter isn't that far fetched!

Glad to see you went with a Flattie- though for future reference if you want to do a Nailhead powered rod, the one in the AMT '66 Riviera (stock or lowrider version, doesn't matter) is really nicely done, though the simplified one from the '40 Panel delivery is pretty good as well, and features a period-style Ford manual gearbox. The Riv motor is stock and lashed to an automatic tranny, but many kits include Nailhead speed parts (I'm sure there are a few aftermarket guys with Nailhead stuff as well) that adapt well to this engine, and a simple razor saw is all you need to remove the autobox and sling whatever four-speed you like behind it!

I've bought five or six of these kits JUST for that engine. Sad, really... :lol:

Very cool build so far. I love me some rat rods.

Here's a tip for skull shifters. There's a hotwheels car (can't remember what it's called) that has skulls for headlights. They are a pretty good size for 1/25. Here's a pic of one in my 32 phaeton.

IMG_0573.jpg