Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Rat Rod

olarge1

This is my first atempt at this style, and was not happy where I was going with it. Then I saw Made007's Deathproof Nova and was inspired. so I was up last night till 4am , finnished fitting the body over frame then started on the interior, not sure I will stay with the seat, thinking about doind some bomer buckets?

2009_0531models0003-1.jpg

2009_0531models0009-1.jpg

2009_0531models0014.jpg

Inspiration is a wonderful thing. The inner panels are sensational. They put the tidy little tuck and roll seat to shame. I'm sure you'll come up with something cool in the seating dept.too. The stance is on the money. Looking forward to more.

PS: I'm definitely stealing the door panel idea for a future build. Did you research the details or just imagineer it Either way it works. If you have any detail pics o construction it would be great. Are they one piece cut out from styrene sheet or glue together from strip?

Inspiration is a wonderful thing. The inner panels are sensational. They put the tidy little tuck and roll seat to shame. I'm sure you'll come up with something cool in the seating dept.too. The stance is on the money. Looking forward to more.

PS: I'm definitely stealing the door panel idea for a future build. Did you research the details or just imagineer it Either way it works. If you have any detail pics o construction it would be great. Are they one piece cut out from styrene sheet or glue together from strip?

Thanks, see Photo above I actualy took the box stock peice sanded off the tuck and roll and made a pattern on tape, used a pin vise to drill out as much plastic as posible and cleaned up with a file. I didnt reasurch just did what I thought looked good.. I figured this was the easest way to keep a close contour in the top of the door.

...I actualy took the box stock peice sanded off the tuck and roll and made a pattern on tape, used a pin vise to drill out as much plastic as posible and cleaned up with a file. ... I figured this was the easest way to keep a close contour in the top of the door.

Now that's thinkin'! ... :D Great imagineering - I woulda thought you'd researched it for sure! I see now that the middle picture shows all three steps in the process. Thanx!

Edited by gbk1

not sure I like the bomber seats I made ? Maybe will look better with some paint on em'

Those seats look just fine. :) Just spray them with Testors Buffable Aluminum Plate and you'll have a big smile on your face. One thing, though... you might think about lowering them a little into the body. I notice you have them on pedestals so it should be a simple thing to do. But nice fabrication work, just like the inner panels! Looking forward to more, more, more... B)

Edited by gbk1

Dude- this one is coming together nicely. I say keep the bomber seats (I'd like them more if they had more holes in them, but that's just me!) I really like the door panel surgery you performed!

Unrelated note: We have the exact same 'star pattern' cutting mats! Everyone who's seen mine looks at it like it's from Neptune or something.

Edited by Chuck Most

Those seats look just fine. :P Just spray them with Testors Buffable Aluminum Plate and you'll have a big smile on your face. One thing, though... you might think about lowering them a little into the body. I notice you have them on pedestals so it should be a simple thing to do. But nice fabrication work, just like the inner panels! Looking forward to more, more, more... :P

Good eye, they were way to high.. I think I got it, You were right B)

I also found sone thin wood venier @ Michaels scrided some board lines and alitle black wash and I have a wood floor (I can also see this for a truck bed )..made front drums.. the disc breaks just didnt look right on this style rod, and sectioned the grill shell...

2009_0604models0005.jpg2009_0604models0004.jpg

2009_0604models0006.jpg

What a great project you have here! The stance and the look are just right and lend themselves nicely to the rat rod scene, if not a little better because the workmanship is too nice, haha. Neat idea sanding down then cutting out the door panels and bulkhead to look like the inner body structure. While it is nothing like what the real inner structure of a '32 roadster looks like, it really works. And lets face it, most of the people that would see it probably don't know the difference. Those seats are cool too but I'm especially digging the wood floor.

Can't wait to see more!

OK! It's "money shot" time. And here it is:

2009_0604models0006.jpg

This angle sez it all. Perfect stance and immaculately proportioned. This build could easily go either way, an accurate representation of an old school late 40's-early 50's channeled rod or contemporary rat rod (although pretty tasteful if you ask me). Your call! :(

Fine job on the brake drums. How did you make them?

What are your plans for the motor?

Thanks guys for the kind words..Im having fun with this one!...here is how I did the break drums

I used parts box rims tht had a small revial on the back for detail, sanded them to fit the back of my wheel assmembly, I then sanded the kits rotors to fit the back of rim (this allowed me to keep the orginial mounting set up from the kit)

2009_0606models0001.jpg

2009_0606models0002.jpg

2009_0606models0003.jpg

This is looking great. Looking forward to more.

Unrelated note: We have the exact same 'star pattern' cutting mats! Everyone who's seen mine looks at it like it's from Neptune or something.

I havent seen any other my self ? i think used in air plane building ?

I have the same one, picked up at Hobby Town in Kennesaw. I'll never buy one there again though, my 12 x 18 cost more than the 18 x 24 at Hobby Lobby.

• 3 weeks later...