Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 nova wagon withh flames

gseeds

got a buddy name john, and this is his 1 to 1 nova wagon, he asked me about a year ago to build him a model of it to display with the car at shows, and im just getting around to it,i started with a pretty nice original 1963 kit, got a resin 1966 cowl hood off ebay and spliced the cowl part to the 63 hood,in the parts box i found a set of american 5 spoke wheels and tires that looked alot like his,and got started today on what sould be about a week project, after removing the side trim and nova name plates,i put the car under primer,next will be the paint,ill post as it comes along. ;D

this1-3.jpg

this3.jpg

this2-6.jpg

Looks like a fun project Gary,

But isn't that kit kinda rare..? I'm sure you'll do a great job with it but this is the best I can find for now without bustin da bank..!

Wagon1.jpg

I got this by chance the end of last year after the Cactus Classic & it needs obvious restoration. Tossed some Pegasus "T's" on there for motivation but hasn't helped. Maybe I'll get some inspiration from your build..!

Wagon2.jpg

Hizoot B)

yea jeff, the guy put down a big 100 bucks for this incomplete kit, hope i dont screw it up for him lol, yours is looking pretty cool, id like to have a real one like yours, just to hit all the model shows in,then to the beach.

• 3 weeks later...

ok i got a little time today to do the flames for a buddy of mine on his 63 nova wagon, the flames are not exact, the real car had too many smaller licks ,and it was a little hard to cut them all, after 3 trys of cutting the foil,this is what i came up with,buddy say's close enough,and digs em, so that s good enough for me,and the spraying began,heres a simple step by step,hope this helps anyone that my like to try this. ;D

cover area to be flamed with BMF and draw flame out line.

novawagon3.jpg

next i cut the flame out useing a swivel blade,be careful not to cut too deep !!

rockstarinc025.jpg

then mask off area not to be painted.

rockstarinc028.jpg

spray colors.

rockstarinc030.jpg

unmask and clear.

novawagon2.jpg

novawagon1.jpg

still going to sand and BMF door handels,window moldings,etc . and reclear.

• 2 weeks later...