Model Cars Magazine Forum

......LOST.....FOREVER???

Was wondering where are the molds for the following model car kits, some of them have left us for nearly 30+ years.....Lost, destroyed, stolen? :lol:

-Aurora 1/16 Scale Funny Cars: Pinto, Vega & accessories kits.......Monogram took many Aurora mold back in 70's, "Vanished" since.....R.I.P???

-Aurora 1/16 "Old Timers" antique brass car kits: Olds Curv dash, Stanley Steamer, Buick, Mercer, Stutz,etc, gone too for nearly 3 decades.

-Monogram Tom Daniels 1/16 VW Smug Bug / Muscle Bug, gone since the mid 70's, never reissued since.

-Monogram TD 1/12 Mean Maverick Funny Car.

-Pyro 1/32 "Brass antique car" series: Ford T, Rolls silver ghost, Renault TC, etc, Life Like or Lindberg ? took the molds back in 70's.....Lindberg may have them? (Lindberg as the Pyro 1/32 Table Top series......but never saw the ANTIQUE car kits in Linberg boxes)

-Edai/Gripp/Entex BIG 1/8 Scale Lotus 72 JPS F1, Mclaren M23 F1, Porsche RSR.....Totally "vanished" since early 80's.....molds "rusting" in a dusty japanese warehouse????

Possible we may see one of these kits back ;)

Was wondering where are the molds for the following model car kits, some of them have left us for nearly 30+ years.....Lost, destroyed, stolen? :blink:

-Aurora 1/16 Scale Funny Cars: Pinto, Vega & accessories kits.......Monogram took many Aurora mold back in 70's, "Vanished" since.....R.I.P???

-Aurora 1/16 "Old Timers" antique brass car kits: Olds Curv dash, Stanley Steamer, Buick, Mercer, Stutz,etc, gone too for nearly 3 decades.

-Monogram Tom Daniels 1/16 VW Smug Bug / Muscle Bug, gone since the mid 70's, never reissued since.

-Monogram TD 1/12 Mean Maverick Funny Car.

-Pyro 1/32 "Brass antique car" series: Ford T, Rolls silver ghost, Renault TC, etc, Life Like or Lindberg ? took the molds back in 70's.....Lindberg may have them? (Lindberg as the Pyro 1/32 Table Top series......but never saw the ANTIQUE car kits in Linberg boxes)

-Edai/Gripp/Entex BIG 1/8 Scale Lotus 72 JPS F1, Mclaren M23 F1, Porsche RSR.....Totally "vanished" since early 80's.....molds "rusting" in a dusty japanese warehouse????

Possible we may see one of these kits back :lol:

Many Aurora tools were lost in a train wreck years ago.

Could have been old stock from somewhere but I saw the big Entex Porsche RSR in the LHS a year or so ago.

There are so many stories and speculations about the aurora funny car kits its frightening. Here is a really good read from straightline modelers group that gives one of the designer's accounts of how they came to be. Long but good read for any drag race fan.

http://www.straightlinemodeler.org/aurora.html

Sadly I had all of the race scene stuff and all the chassis, engine and body kits before I sold everything off years ago....

....R.I.P. for Aurora Funnies, indeed, was not sure, but with your inputs pretty sure the only way to get one mint now is with a very "fat" wallet on eBay.

Thanks for web link. At least the 1/16 Antique series kits are still reasonably priced.

As for TD 1/12 & 1/16 scale kits of the early 70's, had hope.......1/12th Red Baron was reisued 20 years ago, Revell probably still have this one ,maybe, only maybe..... the Bug or Maverick lies around :lol:

True ....Remember back then (1985-86) seeing in hobbyshops the 1/8Edai 72 Lotus JPS F1, the 1/12 ex Renwall MB 300SL gullwing & the 1/16 1937 Rolls Phantom III 4dr (another jap kit) in really, really nice Revell packages, the Renwal 300SL & Rolls Phan III are still with us, as for the Lotus 72...total mistery!

....Forgot about those Virgil Exner Renwal 1/25 mid 60's Duesy & Stutz kits, sure be nice to see those back too.

Thanks to all.

Lindberg just re-released the Model T Coupelet from the Brass series last year. I would think some of the other Brass series survived if that one did. There are enough of them floating around on Ebay for reasonable prices that it would be easy to collect them all at reasonable prices. I did. I didn't pay more than 10 - 15 dollars for any of them - often less. There were twelve of them and most were pretty nice. The Stevens-Duryea roadster is bogus but all of the others are quite good. The Mercers and the Lozier are the hardest to find but you can get the Renault Limousine for $5.00 all the time! They must have made lots of them and no one built them!