Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth GTX Stock Car

Car Crazy 81

I came across this idea of converting this glue bomb body i had stashed away i figure i put it to some good use. Im building a replica of Richard Petty's car that he raced in 1971. I filled the door seams & grinded out the finned rocker panels and filled any gouges that was in the body. This is my first stock car build if anyone can give me any ideas on the engine specs, roll cage and any other pieces on this car that would be appreciated.

petty1971rr.jpg

mopp_0904_05_zrichard_petty_1971_pl.jpg

mopp_0904_07_zrichard_petty_1971_pl.jpg

Edited by LSU Fan 1981

The doors don't open and they have not opened since the '60's. The door seams need to be put back in place as well.

The engine shot in Bluesman Mark's link is incorrect as well. The rest of that car is not that far off from the original though. One thing is wrong the lower portion of the intake should be gold.

All suspension pieces and wheels are painted industrial blue. The rest of the car is Petty Blue. Testors made a Petty Blue paint in the small cans, but it's not right, but it's close. You can get it through an auto paint house though. It's only offered as Petty Blue for one year on Plymouth cars. Then it was changed to Super Blue. Dodges version is Basin Street Blue.

I have tons of pics from the '71 '72 era. Both years are the same, but the decals changed as he used Pepsi and then STP for sponsors in '72. If you would like to have those pics, PM me with your e mail addy and I'll send them to you. Too many to post on here and it takes too long using an outside hosting. That's the only thing I hate about this site. Downloading pics straight to the site like other sites work would be much faster and simpler. If you like, you can post some of the pics I send to you on here if you have the time.

By the way, I am working on one of those too. I am using the correct '71 Road Runner body though. And there is a PE set for that car too.

Edited by dwc43

Heres some progress on the Petty car i had the body soaking in the purple pond over the weekend to remove all of the spot putty i'd applied to the body so im re-doing the body all over again. I rescribed the door seams, scribed out the decklid & reskinned the center section of the hood with sheet styene.

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg