Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foiling question.

When applying foil to a large area, what is the best recommended way to apply to say, a windshield.

Would it be best to cut a large section to cover the whole frame in one piece then cut out the centre?

Similar question for wheel arch trim, one piece and cut out the centre or in thin strips and 'bend' it around the curvature?

Big thanks in advance, John

I've done it both ways...started out using one big piece to cover the area, then went to using thin strips to wrap around (uses less foil). The problem with using thin strips is when overlapping foil onto foil, the dang stuff does not stick to itself very well...even the new foil :lol:

With the foil having a minimum shelf life and not having to worry 'bout over-lappin'...I'm going back to covering the area to be foiled with one piece again. The big pieces left after cutting a windscreen or wheel well opening can be re-used for smaller areas. ;)

:P I use as large a piece as I can. I find the whole foiling process tedious and want to get it over with quickly. As said before you can use the bigger pieces for smaller areas. Some people may think me wasteful, but foil isn't that expensive. I worked it out and the last sheet cost about 75 cents per car. So foil away.

Hodrodasuarus, may I recommend using aluminum foil and foil adhesive. In this way you don't have to worry about conserving foil as one roll with last a decade. And also the foil adhesive will allow overlapping foil to stick to the foil underneath easily. And yes, cut a big piece and use foil the wheel arches in one shot. After you burnish the sides cut a circle following the contour of the arch into the foil or make a series of cuts along the arch before you tuck the foil under the fender. Or it could crease. For the windshield, I cut four little squares for the corners and four long thin parts for the sides.