Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Street Truck Community Build- Deadline December 31St At 12:00Am

Nick Winter

what year is the chevy?

It's a 99 Silvy. It's the Revell kit that's already lowered and has some custom options but I'm trying to spice it up a bit more.

Got the chassis going.

Silvy-02.jpg

And the engine is pretty much done.

Silvy-01.jpg

I'm in the process of removing the stock trim from the body and filling in the roll pan. Found a nice set of wheels and tires for it too.

why thank you

i managed to sneak in a few minutes today, mainly tried to get the bedfloor to lay right

its still a long ways from done

good job man

i always had the hardest time staying up during school ;)

Your welcome that's a really cool idea you have working out for you

It's a 99 Silvy. It's the Revell kit that's already lowered and has some custom options but I'm trying to spice it up a bit more.

Got the chassis going.

Silvy-02.jpg

And the engine is pretty much done.

Silvy-01.jpg

Ok after a small edit your on the list.

I'm in the process of removing the stock trim from the body and filling in the roll pan. Found a nice set of wheels and tires for it too.

Made some progress on the work bench today. Wasn't a fan of the Y'd off dual exhaust and the tiny tips that came with the kit so I bent up new exhaust and cut some new tips out of brass tubing.

Silvy-03.jpg

Also started on the interior. Laid down a base coat of white and masked off the inserts and matched them to the color I'll use for the body. It was the first time I used Bare Metal Foil for masking and I gotta say it's a little more tedious but the results are worth it. I only did one seat but all it needs is a little touch up and a shot of semi-gloss so I feel comfortable with tackling the rest of the interior pieces.

Silvy-04.jpg

Ok, here's what I have done so far on my truck project. Any thoughts and comments are welcomed.

552.jpg

Holy s*** that's a truck, I love the color and the stance added to the wheels, is a great mixture. What's the name of the color, and it's producer?

Made some progress on the work bench today. Wasn't a fan of the Y'd off dual exhaust and the tiny tips that came with the kit so I bent up new exhaust and cut some new tips out of brass tubing.

Silvy-03.jpg

Also started on the interior. Laid down a base coat of white and masked off the inserts and matched them to the color I'll use for the body. It was the first time I used Bare Metal Foil for masking and I gotta say it's a little more tedious but the results are worth it. I only did one seat but all it needs is a little touch up and a shot of semi-gloss so I feel comfortable with tackling the rest of the interior pieces.

Silvy-04.jpg

Well.. if you guys can stand to see something ugly I build I would like to join...

-long story of why I somewhat don't want to-

Ok basically I'm not even a builder.. I have some models but the most I've done is hand paint things.. I can't paint bodies to save my life or use spray paint.. I always get too much on and it runs.. or it's NEVER even.. so I literally have about 9 models with a lot of hand painted stuff but none with painted bodies.. when I was younger I would put together pre painted models or have my stepdad paint things that I needed spray painted.. which didn't help my learning but anyways.. that's why some of you may have seen me around here but maybe wondered why I never post any of my work..

-ok if you don't like reading here is the point-

The truck I'm working on is a 55 chevy stepside.. it's being built to look like it's in black primer as if it was a street truck in progress (pretend it's a 1:1 in someones shop)

I know it's lame and not going to be worthy of being in here... But it would motivate me at least.. so if you guys can overlook it and give me pointers I'd love to join in on the fun

well, i wanted to get my first coat of primer on today so here it is

no where near done but im pretty pleased with the progress so far

i need to ad a tiny bit of bondo on (mainly) the passenger rear qauter) and i need to do some sanding all over but it is starting to look like a truck

i have also figured out the drivetrain

1.8 16valve GTI motor with a custom turbo attached to the rear differential of a 95 toyota supra

the rims came from the supra and the front axle is a spare on from a very early ford

let me know what you guys think

IMG00140-20090907-2242.jpg

IMG00141-20090907-2243.jpg

IMG00143-20090907-2243.jpg

IMG00145-20090907-2244.jpg

IMG00146-20090907-2245.jpg

Looks good so far, but I aint too keen on those wheels.

(assuming you mean mine)

i cans ee where you are comming from

under normal circumstances i would never use a wheel like that on a truck of any sort

i think the only wheels that look good on trucks are chromed metal, never alloys

but i really needed the rear differential that cam with the supra and i allready had these wheels attached to it

so i didnt think i could salvage the rear dif. without the wheels

I see. And you know what, that bed looks like it belongs there. The more I thought about it, it reminds me of the new retro trucks. Like the PT Cruiser and that chevy thing that kinda flopped when it came to sales. That could be a retro VW truck if they ever made a real one way back when. Looks much better and more factory looking than those choped up ones in the pics that someone posted earlier.

Well.. if you guys can stand to see something ugly I build I would like to join...

-long story of why I somewhat don't want to-

Ok basically I'm not even a builder.. I have some models but the most I've done is hand paint things.. I can't paint bodies to save my life or use spray paint.. I always get too much on and it runs.. or it's NEVER even.. so I literally have about 9 models with a lot of hand painted stuff but none with painted bodies.. when I was younger I would put together pre painted models or have my stepdad paint things that I needed spray painted.. which didn't help my learning but anyways.. that's why some of you may have seen me around here but maybe wondered why I never post any of my work..

-ok if you don't like reading here is the point-

The truck I'm working on is a 55 chevy stepside.. it's being built to look like it's in black primer as if it was a street truck in progress (pretend it's a 1:1 in someones shop)

I know it's lame and not going to be worthy of being in here... But it would motivate me at least.. so if you guys can overlook it and give me pointers I'd love to join in on the fun

Hey I want to, Build it.

well, i wanted to get my first coat of primer on today so here it is

no where near done but im pretty pleased with the progress so far

i need to ad a tiny bit of bondo on (mainly) the passenger rear qauter) and i need to do some sanding all over but it is starting to look like a truck

i have also figured out the drivetrain

1.8 16valve GTI motor with a custom turbo attached to the rear differential of a 95 toyota supra

the rims came from the supra and the front axle is a spare on from a very early ford

let me know what you guys think

IMG00140-20090907-2242.jpg

IMG00141-20090907-2243.jpg

IMG00143-20090907-2243.jpg

IMG00145-20090907-2244.jpg

IMG00146-20090907-2245.jpg

WOW now this I like.

I see. And you know what, that bed looks like it belongs there. The more I thought about it, it reminds me of the new retro trucks. Like the PT Cruiser and that chevy thing that kinda flopped when it came to sales. That could be a retro VW truck if they ever made a real one way back when. Looks much better and more factory looking than those choped up ones in the pics that someone posted earlier.

thanks..i guess i was going for a stock look thoug im not sure if im pleased it looks like a HHR.

thanks for the compliments though.

WOW now this I like.

thanks

shes got a long ways to go still but shes getting there

Holy s*** that's a truck, I love the color and the stance added to the wheels, is a great mixture. What's the name of the color, and it's producer?

The paint is Model Master Pacific Blue. 1/2oz. bottle is SKU#52705 and the 3oz. spray can is SKU#52905. Thanks for the comments. I think that color suits the truck perfectly !

RIZ