Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about 1970 Trans Am

Your best bet would be to try and match the stripe to some paint. I know the stripe and the shaker aren't truly going to match in any event.

There was a builder here on the forum that painted his decals the same color as his shaker so he could be sure to get the right match. I asked him to go into detail about what he did and how he did it. If I get the chance today I'll go through my 3 ring binder of modeling tips and scan it for you.

I would think that would be the best solution's as far as matching the stripe to the shaker.

Chris

Wasn't there a discussion about the stripes being printed in the wrong color blue? I believe that's why some choose to paint the decals and the scoop as one unit...

T/A blue decals have never been printed correctly. There's a fine black fade into metallic blue. Eric Cole carefully masked the decals on the sheet of the latest Monogram (Revell) reissue, and sprayed them lightly w/some Tamiya metallic blue, and matched that color w/the shaker. I'm not sure if he decanted and shot w/an airbrush or not. Anyway, as a rule modelers will just have to match the shaker as close as possible to the decals, and be prepared to mix paint to match or live w/a mismatch, unless one of the standard colors just so happens to closely match the decals. On the real car the blue is metallic. MPC, Monogram, and Cady all used solid non-metallic blues.

I know there was a member here who used the darker Tamiya metallic blue with a black fade along the edges and he did the same to the scoop. The end result was stunning to say the least and added immensely to the finished project. The car looked 100% better with the right color stripe and shaker scoop. I can't remember what shaed of blue was used though. ;)

I wish I would have asked this question a last weekend. I have already painted, applied decals and cleared the car as pictured below. I have a decal set for the 71 Trans Am and they are darker in color, I guess I should have used them instead.

DSCN1483.jpg

DSCN1481.jpg

DSCN1480.jpg

DSCN1479.jpg

Dave

Edited by Towmaster Dave

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but at this point, why worry if the color isn't exactly correct? The car looks fantastic! Unless you're trying to build a 100% factory correct, showroom stock, most accuate build ever, super contest winner, just match the paint to your stripes (take the hood to the hobby shop and find a color that matches).....and if it wasn't for this thread, I'd bet most people wouldn't even notice the color ain't quite right! ;)

Beautiful model, man! Fantastic paint!

I'm keeping these rims on it, they are the coke bottle mags from California Wheels Chevy Wagon. I'm not triing to build a 100% acurate T/A model, I was just triing to finish up something I started a year ago and never finished ( got a few of these unfinished kits). I tried mathching the decal to a paint at the LHS and no luck, So I'll just keep mixing to get a match. Thanks to everyone for their input and info.

Dave