Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junkyard Rat

Jantrix

Now that the unbelievable stress of an uncertain layoff is now (unfortunately) certain, the stress level is quite a bit lower. So as I search for a new job, I've gotten the itch again. But no paint booth, so what to build - a rat rod.

Now my idea of a rat rod is bit different and could be more accurately be called a traditional hot rod I suppose. This will be a junk yard build, built from my scrap bins/boxes with a scratched frame.

Recent rat trends lean towards uber-low with the tranny in your lap and the drive shaft under your elbow. I hate that, so this will have a taller ride heght and a rake more like the 60's rods. No rust. No weathering. But as a tribute to the early rodders who took their skills learned working on bombers/fighters/tank of WW2 and Korea, it will be olive drab green with a bit of nose art on the doors. I hope you like it.

100_1539.jpg

100_1540.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1575.jpg

100_1577.jpg

100_1581.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Thanks for the ataboys. A few more mock-up shots then. Chassis is complete and painted. I'm not going to narrow the rear to bed width, but rather add some shallow tubs like you might see on a duece highboy. The real fun part was fabbing the quarter eliptical front end. Lots of work still. As for the bed choice. I saw another builder use a trunk section of a 50's car and I was gonna use the trunk of the Fairlane, until I turned it around and saw how cool the front looked.

100_1582.jpg

100_1583.jpg

100_1584.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Thanks guys. Again, I can't really take credit for the rear fenders, someone else did something similar (I can't remember who though dag-nabbit). EDIT: LOL. It was you Cranky that inspired this. http://public.fotki.com/vsuarez666/voodoo-...aser/page2.html Many thanks.

However I would like some input on exhaust. As a born & bred non-conformist I'm torn. Most people who do rats would make some zoomies or something similar. They do look all sorts of cool.

So my options as I see em.

1. Zoomies/straight pipes

2. Headers & exit in front of the rear wheel.

3. Headers and exit through some sort of bumperette (Tbird style) on the rear facia.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Jantrix

Thanks guys. Again, I can't really take credit for the rear fenders, someone else did something similar (I can't remember who though dag-nabbit). EDIT: LOL. It was you Cranky that inspired this. http://public.fotki.com/vsuarez666/voodoo-...aser/page2.html Many thanks.

However I would like some input on exhaust. As a born & bred non-conformist I'm torn. Most people who do rats would make some zoomies or something similar. They do look all sorts of cool.

So my options as I see em.

1. Zoomies/straight pipes

2. Headers & exit in front of the rear wheel.

3. Headers and exit through some sort of bumperette (Tbird style) on the rear facia.

Any other ideas?

Here's just a thought, and it would take some work and might not be "real-world" applicable, but what if you ran the exhaust tubes along the frame rails and under the rear end, then up and terminated out of the "head light/ tail light" holes. You could fabricate a tip that conformed to the the top-round part of the headlight hole and acted as the top part of the bezel for the tail light...the lower half being...the tail light itself. Sort of a dual use of the big holes already there... and it would certainly be unique! :rolleyes: Just my $0.02

Here's just a thought, and it would take some work and might not be "real-world" applicable, but what if you ran the exhaust tubes along the frame rails and under the rear end, then up and terminated out of the "head light/ tail light" holes. You could fabricate a tip that conformed to the the top-round part of the headlight hole and acted as the top part of the bezel for the tail light...the lower half being...the tail light itself. Sort of a dual use of the big holes already there... and it would certainly be unique! :lol: Just my $0.02

Or how 'bout the tailpipes coming right thru the middle of the taillight lense? :lol:

It's lookin' good Rob, keep up the good work :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys. As for tail lights/exhaust issue. I have sliced off the taillight area of the same Fairlane that donated the front and will be turning that into a second set of "tail lights" and rolled pan at the rear with a Mustang bumper separating the two. The exhaust will likely exit the upper holes and the lower ones the tail lamps. Will be slingin' styrene tonight and will get some pics up before dawn - hopefully.

Also a interview today has a possibility of turning into permanent employment with a major global corp. A serious pay cut from my current salary but a job is better than no job.

Here's what I came up with for the rear. I have bug eye bezels for the top holes where the exhaust will exit. The lower ones will have standard bezels and have round flat tail lights.

100_1590.jpg

Right now I'm working on some shallow wheel wells and then it'll be time to throw some putty.

I'm also kicking around what to do with the left over bed from the 50 F-1. Maybe cut down the Revell 49 Merc and add the bed in the rear?

Edited by Jantrix

100_1598.jpg

Ol' JR is lookin' mighty fine Rob ;) I'd love to drive that thing :D

I'm also kicking around what to do with the left over bed from the 50 F-1. Maybe cut down the Revell 49 Merc and add the bed in the rear?

:huh: Wow Rob! that sounds like a cool idea! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Cap'n. Unfortunately, this build will likely have to be safely tucked away for later. My layoff woes have ended as I have managed to get my resume into the hands of the right people, and have secured myself a new job. Better pay and hours. However it involves a move. So I'll get as much done as I can (I'll pack the modelling table last) and then I'll have to wait until we are resettled. We're only moving about 4 hours away. From Jacksonville to Clearwater (near Tampa). I'm not gonna miss the Jax area too much, except for a particularly excellent LHS. Those are too rare.

I truly appreciate all the support from you folks and I'm sorry get derailed on you, but affairs of state must take precidence over affairs of state. :(

The young guys aren't gonna get that last line, I'm sure.

My wife has agreed to let me pack the hobby table last so I'm still plugging away.

Starting to detail the engine and the interior is coming along. I'm not sure about the dash yet. I might scratch one out and give it a metallic look like you might do if you were building a junkyard rod, but didn't have a dash that would work. Gonna add a skull head shifter if I can get my hands on a skull head. I'm gonna head down to the local gamers store and see if I can find some skeleton gaming figures that would work. Starting the fuel lines tonight too I think. Be cool.

100_1733.jpg

100_1734.jpg