Model Cars Magazine Forum

New form of Embossing Material

oldman23

Hi Everyone,

I know allot of us use embossing metal for crunch panels and for filling in wheel wells ans such.

I was looking for something to use to fill in the gaps in the wheel wells on the car I'm building. I remembered I had a roll of Muffler repair tape so I asked my son to see if he could find it. He brought it to me and I never really noticed how heavy it is until now. It is chrome Tape but it is metal just like a heavy foil. It mic's out at .005" without the backing and the roll is 2" wide. You can emboss it, shape it, and form it but don't try to pull it off once you remove the backing and burnish it in place. The glue they use will stick to rust so imagine how it sticks to plastic. I sanded it and sprayed some etching primer on it and it blended right in. A roll costs under $5.00 at the auto parts and there is five feet on the roll.

Give it a try, I used a piece on an old scrap model to foil copy the front fender, once I burnished it down it stayed and then I crunched it up like it got hit in the front, I then removed the part of the fender that I wanted dented in with a small saw, afterward I slowly removed the backing from the foil copy and applied it over the remaining fender. Wow what a time saver it was and I used very little putty to blend it all in. It looks natural and very real and it is surprisingly ridged. I would post some pictures but my Daughter Borrowed my camera for a wedding.

Give it a try it does work

Ernie P

Edited by oldman23