Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Barracuda update 1/2/07...Rumblefish is ready

Daniel Peterson

1969 Barracuda, intended as a quick build just with what came in the box.

DSCF0021-vi.jpg

Of course that didn't fly once I got into it, so I added a Firebird rear spoiler (which you can't see here since it's black), the rallye wheels from the Nash Bridges 'Cuda, a little roll bar bracing, separate bucket seats from the parts box, stripped the chrome from the bumpers and added pins to which to attach aluminum tube exhaust tips. I have a gorgeous Parts by Parks air cleaner to top off the 383 and I've prepped the engine for wiring. Other than that, it's stock. :wink:

I don't know when I will complete the thing, but I want to try to get it done in a couple weeks. I go back to work Monday and hope to have everything painted so I can concentrate on assembly over the coming week.

I did originally plan to use Pegasus Halibrands, but as I got thinking about it, I wanted something more traditional "Saturday Night Hellraiser"...you know; a glove box full of speeding tickets, other guys' titles, girls' phone numbers, my attorney's business card, etc. 8)

Looks good so far, but that ain't no Thunderbolt... :mrgreen:

Yeah, well. Um...I mean, uh. Wait...I got it!

I was so impressed by yours, that I still see it in my mind's eye whenever I approach my bench, and that I fear any effort on my part wil pale in comparison to such a degree, at least at this stage in my develoment as a hobbyist, that it would be an insult to you to apply anything less than my best effort. Ergo, I have decided to polish my rudimentary skills and revisit the basics of model building before venturing back into my virtual, 1:25 scale Dearborn Tube with anything less than the quality of craftsmanship you so richly deserve from my attempt to match, nay...approach the level you exhibited with yours, the most beautiful Thunderbolt I have ever had the joy to see.

Yeah, well. Um...I mean, uh. Wait...I got it!

I was so impressed by yours, that I still see it in my mind's eye whenever I approach my bench, and that I fear any effort on my part wil pale in comparison to such a degree, at least at this stage in my develoment as a hobbyist, that it would be an insult to you to apply anything less than my best effort. Ergo, I have decided to polish my rudimentary skills and revisit the basics of model building before venturing back into my virtual, 1:25 scale Dearborn Tube with anything less than the quality of craftsmanship you so richly deserve from my attempt to match, nay...approach the level you exhibited with yours, the most beautiful Thunderbolt I have ever had the joy to see.

Now that is hilarious!!!

Looks like an interesting project Dan, bring it to the next CPMCC meeting to check it out and if you are afraid of painting it black don't worry, when you see my black 350Z Ijust painted you just might want me to paint it for you, it would be an honor man :roll:

...afraid of painting it black don't worry, when you see my black 350Z I just painted you just might want me to paint it for you, it would be an honor man :roll:

You just want me to actually finish something, don't ya! If you painted it, people would be mislead into thinking I was getting good at this, when in fact I know better.

I will be at the CPMCC meeting Saturday, and I will have the Barracuda in whatever stage of completion I get it to. The body ought to be in color and ready to polish and foil by then, at least...........hmmm...I don't see anyone volunteering for that part, now do I? :lol:

Oh, and I will ALSO have a batch of chili for the holiday party! :shock:

You just want me to actually finish something, don't ya! If you painted it, people would be mislead into thinking I was getting good at this, when in fact I know better.

I will be at the CPMCC meeting Saturday, and I will have the Barracuda in whatever stage of completion I get it to. The body ought to be in color and ready to polish and foil by then, at least...........hmmm...I don't see anyone volunteering for that part, now do I? :lol:

Oh, and I will ALSO have a batch of chili for the holiday party! :shock:

In actuallity, I prefer the polishing part more than the painting, dust just really has a way of pi%*#@ing me off and yes I will admit it, I want to see you finishing something :lol: Hope to see you there on Sat. with the Cuda and the Chilli :roll:

Here's the barracuda in DupliColor Cayenne red metallic over gray primer. I cleared it, but will hold off polishing and waxing for a while.

DSCF0025-vi.jpg

And here's that goofy Firebird spoiler resting in place. I think it works with the rest of the car's lines.

DSCF0027-vi.jpg

I hope to get some bench time this week to play with the engine and interior. Shots of those later.

Lookin' good, Dan! I look forward to seeing this one in-progress for several years. :P :wink:

Nice color! I think the spoiler looks like it was made for it. Keep it simple and you'll have a blast.

I agree Matt and I think the reason for that is that that wing was designed with that shape in mind. Both the Barracuda and the Firebird which donated this wing are Pony cars with a very similar shape: a squared off tail light panel with a short decklid. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have been hard-pressed to get anywhere with this, but most parts are painted and it's getting to be assembly and detail time.

I was really liking the rallye wheels but dreaded painting the centers. I hit them with metalizer magnesium using a "mask" made from rolled up paper.

Looks okey-dokey to me ...

69Cudarallyewheels-vi.jpg

I also hit the rear trim with metalizer...not thrilled, but not throughly disappointed in it.

Cudataillightpanel-vi.jpg

I hope to get some bench time in tomorrow and assemble the engine.

Is this the current offering by AMT? I picked one of those kits up awhile back simply 'cause it was a Mopar kit and I love the old Mopars. Your project looks beautiful to put it mildly. I love the color you chose for the body and if you hadn't said anything, one would swear that T/A spoiler came factory from Chrysler on that thing! The wheels also look fantastic and a how-to sure would be appreciated as I have several cars with this style wheel that I will be using on future projects. I can't wait to see how this thing comes together! Keep us posted!!! :D

the wheel looks great! im doing a set of the same wheels on my 71 charger and i was wondering were you got the metalizer magnesium??? iv'e never seen that before :!: Also what do you mean by a mask with rolled up paper?

Thanks

The metalizer paints are offered by Testors for airbruash and in rattle cans and you can get them from most hobby shops that carry Testors paints. There are buffing metalizers and non-buffing metalizers. I shoot them over bare plastic, let them stand for 5-10 minutes, and then lightly buff the parts (if it's a buffing type) with a soft cloth.

Most times I shoot the metalizer sealer (I think it's basically Testors clear lacquer) over top. In the case of the wheels, I neither buffed nor sealed the finish.

The masking I did was just a tube (more accurately a band, like a wedding band if you will) of paper about a half inch wide that I sized to the inner wheel area I wanted painted. I then cut a hole in a sheet of paper that matched the size of the band and slipped it over the paper band while it was in the wheel and shot the paint. The paper was chosen over other materials because it was thin enough to shape, served as an adequate mask, and didn't leave a ring of unpainted area where I wanted paint.

You want to be pretty darn close to matching the size of the hole with the band, since this is what keeps overspray from getting on the outer wheel. I found what little overspray did get on the wheel outer was easily removed using a wooden toothpick after the paint had dried.

Not fancy, not overly creative, but effective. Anything to prevent me from having to brush paint the wheel center was alright by me.

I sure do appreciate the how-to on the wheel masking Daniel! Seeing your fish really makes me anxious to get to work on my Barracuda. I doubt it'll turn out as nice as yours is though. I was never really a huge fan of this bodystyle, but seeing your rendition has really given this car a different look and attitude. That is going to be one sick car when it's done!!!!

Here's the (probably illegal and more than a little stupid) rear mounted battery in the 69 Barracuda. I wanted it someplace where it'd be seen and to add a little something to the otherwise bland interior.

Amazing what a couple pieces of scrap wire, a toothpick and some paint can do for a battery's appearance.

Yeah...hold downs might be a good idea.

CudaBattery-vi.jpg

CudaBatterya-vi.jpg

wow i like that . i actually just bought that same model . may i ask what color that is because it looks great on that car :?:

It's DupliColor Cayenne Red Metallic. Shot over DupliColor Primer -Sealer and topcoated with DupliColor clear.

I haven't had the opportuinty to polish it yet, and these 45 year-old eyes apparently missed a piece of fiber that laid on the paint...not usually a big deal, but it runs from the gas filler all the way to the bottom of the quarter panel. I haven't determined if it is in the color or the clear...boy am I hoping it's the latter, especially given how long it takes me to finish anything. If I have to start all over, look for this sometime in 2008! :roll: