Model Cars Magazine Forum

1904 Knox Waterless Truck WIP

Art Anderson

So, back to the Knox.

Dunno if I ever showed any pic of the nearly completed engine, but here it is anyway. There are slightly more than 600 individual pieces in it so far:

intakevalveandspringinstalled1-vi.jpg

It took a few experiments before I got exactly the leaf springs needed. It would have been easy if they were just curved semi-eliptic, but these springs stretch from front axle to the rear axle, are fixed solidly to the frame in the middle, making them act as indivdual quarter-eliptic springs. What really complicated things though, is the S-curve at each end, that affected the first three leaves, as they had to lay as close and tight together as possible, as the two springs have to be as close to each other in dimension as they possibly can, given that the springs are far stronger than the angle iron (done in brass) frame, to avoid either having a wheel in the air, or twisting that frame at all.

Knoxspring1-vi.jpg

The basic metal frame, like the real one, is simple angle stock construction, which on the 1:1 was greatly reinforced by wooden beams which formed the sills of the all wood body.

Knoxchassis2-vi.jpg

It's beginning to get to be fun, for sure!

Art

So, back to the Knox.

Dunno if I ever showed any pic of the nearly completed engine, but here it is anyway. There are slightly more than 600 individual pieces in it so far:

intakevalveandspringinstalled1-vi.jpg

It took a few experiments before I got exactly the leaf springs needed. It would have been easy if they were just curved semi-eliptic, but these springs stretch from front axle to the rear axle, are fixed solidly to the frame in the middle, making them act as indivdual quarter-eliptic springs. What really complicated things though, is the S-curve at each end, that affected the first three leaves, as they had to lay as close and tight together as possible, as the two springs have to be as close to each other in dimension as they possibly can, given that the springs are far stronger than the angle iron (done in brass) frame, to avoid either having a wheel in the air, or twisting that frame at all.

Knoxspring1-vi.jpg

The basic metal frame, like the real one, is simple angle stock construction, which on the 1:1 was greatly reinforced by wooden beams which formed the sills of the all wood body.

Knoxchassis2-vi.jpg

It's beginning to get to be fun, for sure!

Art

Now THAT'S dedication to building!!!! ;)

WOW!!!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Very cool frame/spring setup Art. got any pics of what it's supposed to look like when it's done? think I'll visit Goo-goo-Googley land to see if'n i can see any. :o

The knox automobile has some fame, given its air-cooled one cylinder engine, with the unusual form of air cooling --there are 550 individual cooling pegs in the cylinder of my model. leading to its nickname "Old Porcupine". However, relatively few Knox vehicles were produced (Knox was far better known for their 1-cylinger upright marine engines, watercooled, the legendary "one lungers" of at least two Hardy Boys Mysteries and a number of Hollywood films.

Here's a pic of a real Knox truck, showing the basic frame layout, those weird looking springs. My Knox will be getting a semi-closed "canopy" truck body, with side curtains, however.

1903Knoxstaketruck-vi.jpg

Art

I love pre-1920 cars. They're really neat, and a lot of them are very pretty. What a cool little truck.

I'll look forward to seeing the finished product.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, I am coming east to attend Classic Plastic, in fact I will be in New Bedford, at the Days Inn for the weekend (hooking up with Charles Rowley to do some sightseeing). Hope to see you at the show?

Art

Here's a pic of a real Knox truck, showing the basic frame layout, those weird looking springs. My Knox will be getting a semi-closed "canopy" truck body, with side curtains, however.

1903Knoxstaketruck-vi.jpg

Thanks for posting up the picture Art :lol: That's one cool lookin' little truck.

Your version sounds way cool as well. You scratchin' the wheels & tyres too? :lol:

Lookin' forward to seeing more :lol:

Thanks for posting up the picture Art ;) That's one cool lookin' little truck.

Your version sounds way cool as well. You scratchin' the wheels & tyres too? :D

Lookin' forward to seeing more :P

I am using the wheels and tires (wheels will see some modifications, I plan on machining my own brass hubs) from the Ertl Collectibles diecast 1903 Knox Waterless delivery truck. Those have very nice solid rubber tires, more typical of a delivery truck of those years than the pneumatics mounted on the Knox in that pic.

In fact, it is the Ertl piece I have that has inspired this project, on which I have been noodling since I discovered the Ertl piece at the RC2-Racing Champions Outlet Store in Dyersville IA in July 2004.

Art