Model Cars Magazine Forum

33 Willys in the slaughterhouse

Geezerman

Won this kit at the NHRA SE Nats last weekend in Tampa. Only kit I have on hand, so it immediately goes under the knife.

This car must be the runner up to the 41 Plymouth as the homliest car ever put in model kit form. Who the world designed this? Some backwoods coon hunters ?

1:1 must have had some hellish long adjustment screws to get the headlights to shine down on the pavement.

But enough of this folly:

fenderwhack-vi.jpg

First thing to go were the silly little rear fenders.

hacking1-vi.jpg

Headlight housings were next. Hint of coming direction is the body mocked on a 29 RPU fender assembly.

geezer-vi.gif

I found this part a little tricky, but with a little fooling around and a tub of M&M's, I got those headlite buckets in place.

hacking2-vi.jpg

I had to make a jig to keep them spaced evenly until I could tack them in place w/ crazy glue.

hacking3-vi.jpg

hacking5-vi.jpg

To make a continuation of the light buckets, I used the end clips of the last two old ballpoint pens left over from the old model RR days. (New Caledonia RR. circa 1970s)

pentip-vi.jpg

pentip2-vi.jpg

All gaps were filled with scrap styrene and the molding in is in process.

The mock up before filler.

mock3-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Clay, I'm not sure you could have found a bigger Ford engine if you'd tried. Seeing what you and RRR have done with the '33 Willys coupe of late makes me want to dig one out and get building on it. I'll get to it right after the dozen other builds on the bench. :lol: :lol:

BTW, The build is looking fantastic.

Edited by Fletch

Thanks, all.

That Cammer came in the Willys kit. great looking engine, but I'm considering putting a couple of 4 bbls on it instead of the lame looking FI knobs.

Letting glue set up, I tinkered with the rear of the body a bit. Roll pan is a leftover from a 50 Ford vert kit. The tire carrier is a glue bomb parts box find. I hogged out the cast in wires and will have one of my castings in place (matches front wheels)

spare2-vi.jpg

Casting sessions have got me the parts, now I can get on with some building.

None of my models stand up to any scrutiny from underneath, But I always try to install a suspension, however brutally imagineered it may be. This one is about the most blatent impractible one I've done.

But it holds the tires.

It hits the spare tire recess in the trunk lid. I'll have to address that somehow. :lol:

frame5-vi.jpg

Won this kit at the NHRA SE Nats last weekend in Tampa. Only kit I have on hand, so it immediately goes under the knife.

Whoa- when I first read this, I thought it said "I only have one hand, so it immediately goes under the knife". What call they that disorder when mix words up you do? :P

SERIOUSLY: I've always thought the AMT '33 Willys body had WAY too much chopped out of the top, but so far yours is looking good. Not sure if it's the fenders you're using, or what, but it doesn't seem to look as 'thick in the bottom' as the kit does unmodified. Nicely done!

Love to see the 'Sock' 427 used in builds too! Quite possibly the coolest engine ever. Or, barring that, at least the coolest Ford FE ever! B)

Minor update :

The axle dried crooked and I had to rip it out and then repair it, but it's setting good now on the 5K castings. ;D

Foto shows how I modified the trunk lid to clear the back of the frame kickup. Used the bottom of a pill tube.

Spare tire will still mount ok.

trunklidmod3-vi.jpg

Working on the front axle and getting some filler on the body.

• 2 weeks later...