Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early Drag Roadster

Big 'N' Grumpy

Im Brad,Im 13, and I built I've been building this for a couple weeks now.Here we have a 29-32 ford early drag car.This car is pretty cool I think.It has a built s1 ford flat head with a 3-duece intake.Its channeled, no winshield, tonneau cover ect.I built this car kinda like an insperation copy build, but with a hotrod touch.Heres pics of the inspiration and the build.I made the truck lid, tonneau cover, and hood by hand out of metal.

06-01-2008054207PM.jpg

DSCF2317.jpg

IMG]http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50/Brad1996/DSCF2309.jpg

DSCF2314.jpg

DSCF2308.jpg

At the moment Im making the hearders and after that im gonna paint it.Any ideas on color would Help me alot.

Thanks Brad

Edited by Big 'N' Grumpy

13 ? Wow, I wish I did that good of work at 13. As for color? Heres a few choices,,Maybe a an off-white, or perhaps a olive drab, like it was painted with some Army surplus paint. Theres always the black, grey, or red primer. I'd stay away from metallics, or anything too shiney.

Copy the paint scheme as on your initial picture. I would guess red or orange and black... Yours Looks awsome..... I'm thinking about trying a rear engine flathead next, I found a picture of one in a book, exhaust exits just in front of the rear wheels... Rob

Very nice. Super stance. And I especially like the sheet metal hood. It looks so good I'd be tempted to work out a look based on leaving it in bare metal. In fact, I think that satin gold with the bare metal pieces would look great. But this is a totally different direction than the car that inspired you...

I, too, was inspired by this car. But, besides being based on a '29 A roadster body, my build has taken a totally different direction than yours. If you're curious here's a link to it: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21932.

Really great so far. Looking forward to more! :unsure:

Edited by gbk1

Very nice. Super stance. And I especially like the sheet metal hood. It looks so good I'd be tempted to work out a look based on leaving it in bare metal. In fact, I think that satin gold with the bare metal pieces would look great. But this is a totally different direction than the car that inspired you...

I, too, was inspired by this car. But, besides being based on a '29 A roadster body, my build has taken a totally different direction than yours. If you're curious here's a link to it: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21932.

Really great so far. Looking forward to more! :lol:

Your car is what got me started on this car.I was lookin around on here one night and came across it.I really liked your car and I thought I had a picture ofone similar but 1:1.So I started on it and Ive benn working on this for three days so far...I need an idea on hearders or exashust.

Your car is what got me started on this car.I was lookin around on here one night and came across it.I really liked your car and I thought I had a picture ofone similar but 1:1.So I started on it and Ive benn working on this for three days so far...I need an idea on hearders or exashust.

Thanx! I'm flattered to have inspired someone. ;) I'm still hung up on the sheet metal work so I would assume you're going to leave the sides of the engine compartment open to show off that nice flattie The prettiest flathead headers I have seen are these:

LyleWillitsphoto5-vi.jpg

(Apologies and thanks to Lyle Willits for taking the picture and to Bob Black and his awesome DPMCC site for posting it - Drastic Plastics MCC can be found here http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/ and here http://drasticplastics.proboards.com/index.cgi )

They are beautifully finished and polish up great after a shot of Metallizer. On your channeled roadster they would probably come out right at the body line.

Both The Bluesman and Dave Zinn have deep knowledge when it comes to kits and whats in them. Perhaps one of them might also be able to recommend some kit-based sources for an exhaust solution. In any case, with your chops you could always make a set. But I would definitely leave the engine compartment sides open and run a set of outside exhausts.

Edited by gbk1

Well last night I was up pretty late.I got some stuff done, I built a trailer,found a truck to use as a tow truck.Today my grandma was nice enough to run me down to the local hardware store to pick out a color.On the truck the paint is easy,gold hood,cab,and bed, but for the fenders i might do a simple gloss black.A couple pictures, more later.

Brad

DSCF2325.jpg

DSCF2327.jpg

It's Gold! And it looks good with the baremetal, too. Moon discs would look good if they have a real spun metal look, IMHO. Are you gonna spin your own? :rolleyes::( But I also think plain steelies would do thr trick (they look good in black already). The overall look has a real "practical racer" kinda vibe to my eyes. So my inclination would be towards keeping thngs simple.

It's Gold! And it looks good with the baremetal, too. Moon discs would look good if they have a real spun metal look, IMHO. Are you gonna spin your own? :P:( But I also think plain steelies would do thr trick (they look good in black already). The overall look has a real "practical racer" kinda vibe to my eyes. So my inclination would be towards keeping thngs simple.

I agree :P .Ill have more pics later.

Brad :rolleyes: