Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi A4 1996 BTCC

Brendan

While I'm waiting for the weather to get a little better to finish the Jag, I've started on the Quik Skins Audi. It's a rare kit. If you can find it, pick one up. I was able to get this at the Sacramento NNL from a good friend. I'm going to be using Scale Finishes Aluminum Silver Audi paint. In the kit you are able to do two versions. Either the BTCC or the German Touring cars. I'm choosing to do the BTCC.

Clean casting of the body and two-piece chassis.

IMG_2303.jpg

I pinned the two-piece chassis with some brass rod. Left the rod a little long so I can get a clamp on it for painting.

IMG_2306.jpg

Outstanding two-piece roll cage.

IMG_2308.jpg

Rims and other small components painted with Alclad.

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

Edited by Brendan

Looking forward to seeing more of this B)

They are rare...seems like yesterday when they were easy to get. Of course having Kevin & Joe both visiting Atlanta on a regular basis (before Joe went AWOL w/issues that had him exiting the business) made it easy.

Beware of a fit problem w/the kit during final assembly; there's something in the tolerance stack that keeps the chassis from seating into the body w/o some trimming. I can't remember if they said it was the dash, chassis, roll cage, front glass or some combination thereof. A couple of my friends tag-teamed a build of this model and I was around the day they were finishing it up.

I will follow this with interest as I love British touring cars of all ages.And btw a Northern Irishman-Colin Turkington took the championship this year. B):huh:

Bob, thanks for the "heads up"...

I remember some of the downfalls of the kit since this will be my second time building one. I did the German version the last time. A friend of my brother's who used to race an A4 took it from me. They do mention, though, in the instructions about some of the fit issues. The main problem that I had with the last build was the roll cage height, which had to be sanded down. There was also a fit issue with the front window and the dashboard.

I wish more companies would make kits like this. One of my favorite racing series was the old Firestone Firehawk which was the U.S. equivalent of a touring car series. Had to be based off a production based car.

Nova-SS, I'll try to get more pictures up in a day or so.

Got a little more work done. The color scheme is pretty simple. Mainly black and silver on the inside. The reference photos I have aren't very clear. On the dashboard, I ended up having to make my own gauge display from a silver decal I had. I also added a couple of photoetch pieces that are hardly noticeable. I'm planning on doing some wiring, but not a lot.

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

Little yellowing on the clear parts. But it turned out decent after putting several coats of Future over. Tail lights were painted with Tamiya's transparent paints with a foil backing.

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

That is looking good Brendan,wish I had thought of backing the tail lights with foil.. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of links that may be of interest to you guys,the first is the B.T.T.C. site.

http://www.btcc.net/html/home.php

And I.T.V. who broadcast the races,hopefuly you will be able to watch the highlights here.

http://www.itv.com/Sport/btcc/?intcmp=NAV_SPORT7_BTCC6

All of the detail work looks GREAT!!

What's up with the spots on the resin body? I sure hope that doesn't peek through the paint!!

Later,

It's just old resin. I think it's over ten years old??? I've had other resin do this. I usually don't have any problem painting. Might need a little more sanding and primer.

That is looking good Brendan,wish I had thought of backing the tail lights with foil.. :D

Here are a couple of links that may be of interest to you guys,the first is the B.T.T.C. site.

http://www.btcc.net/html/home.php

And I.T.V. who broadcast the races,hopefuly you will be able to watch the highlights here.

http://www.itv.com/Sport/btcc/?intcmp=NAV_SPORT7_BTCC6

Thanks for the links. A friend of mine just sent me a couple of interior shots of the car. There's really not a whole lot to the interior of these cars. Everything's a different shade of black or silver. It does give me a clearer picture of where some of the wires lead to.

Got the package in the mail Monday and it was the paint I ordered from Scale Finishes. Shot the chassis and roll cage. Got the body in primer. There's a couple of areas I need to touch up on the body before I paint it. Lots of small pin holes that need to be filled in.

IMG_2361.jpg

Scale Finishes paint: Aluminum Silver and Imola Yellow...both Audi colors. I really like the paint.

IMG_2362.jpg

Chassis and roll cage in silver, but waiting for the gloss coat. Still need to do some detail painting for the chassis. Also half the roll cage will be painted black.

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

Taped up the roll cage and the chassis. Got it ready for a shot of semi-gloss black. The tape up job took me about two hours. I wish I had some blue tack. It would have made my life easier. Turned out very nice after removing the tape.

Looked at some other photos and it looks like I need to shoot everything with a semi-gloss as it's not as bright as the outside body. Will end up doing that today...if it doesn't rain.

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

Turned out to be a half way decent morning. After prepping the body last night, I was able to shoot the Scale Finishes paint on it this morning. Also was able to put in the small components into the chassis as well as wires and seat belts.

Body in Aluminum Silver before the Clear Coat. Still need to paint the bottom runners a semi-gloss black. And then it's ready for decals.

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

Taped off the wing and painted the Gurney Lip semi-gloss black.

IMG_2384.jpg

Side mirrors painted in Imola Yellow and Cleared. Used Elmers White Glue to mask off the yellow so the black could be painted. Turned out pretty well, I thought. Bare Metal Foil for the mirror.

IMG_2379.jpg

Use lead wire for the wiring. Took paint very well and you can bend it to the shapes you want.

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Brendan, Once again you've got another winner on your hands. Fantastic work.

Although it is a bit late now, but would silly putty have worked in this instance? I know Bob has used it with good results.

I picked some up to use on a project my son and I are working on after I read about it in FSM, then SA with Bob.

Looking good.

Chris

Where does one get lead wire?

I live in an area where there's a lot of fishing and fly tying. That's how I discovered it. You can pick it up at any place that carries fly tying materials. Also look at Cabela's and that type of place. They will carry it. It's meant for weighting flies for fishing. Here's a picture of the spools that I have. They do make them in different sizes.

IMG_2385.jpg

Brendan, Once again you've got another winner on your hands. Fantastic work.

Although it is a bit late now, but would silly putty have worked in this instance? I know Bob has used it with good results.

I picked some up to use on a project my son and I are working on after I read about it in FSM, then SA with Bob.

Looking good.

Chris

I usually use Blue Tack because it's inexpensive. Around here there's not many places to get silly putty. I couldn't why it wouldn't work since they're basically the same thing. Another thing I've had good success with is using Elmer's White Glue and painting it on the areas that I don't want painted with a brush. And putting on several layers. It seems to work really well for me. It doesn't harm the paint. If you can paint it on straight enough, it will give you a straight line. I've also used it for sealing tape seams up so the paint can't bleed through. The downside is you have to wait a day for it to cure before you can paint.