Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beach Comber

Dr. Cranky

No, buddy, don't use dullcoat. Use water. That's what I use. A little spray with a drop of dish soap or windshield fluid and water. The you spray on. The soap helps break the tension of the surface.

Then while it is still wet, you sprinkle the salt, let it dry or use a hairdryer and then you are ready to paint. You can repeat the process for the effect you are after.

I got this great idea to add the three basic primer colors to this vehicle as if it has been patched up by someone who can't really afford to fix the whole thing at the same time while they use it as a daily beach-going vehicle . . .

IMG_2109-vi.jpg

Black, grey, and ruddy primer . . . yes . . .

IMG_2110-vi.jpg

The hood was the first to be done and of course the beach sand has taken its toll on it . . .

I really like this side:

IMG_2111-vi.jpg

Thanks, folks . . . the story behind the stripes . . . :blink:

I was thinking beach towel!!! :lol:;);)

Seriously, I was thinking of something different that would maybe say "beach."

I think once the rack goes on and the surfboards, it will fit right in.

I still have to put a wash on the whole body to bring all the areas together . . . and of course, the foil on the trim parts . . .

Best surf board in a kit that I have found is Hasegawa Volkswagen Type 2 Delivery van. (#HC-105)

The surf board is cast in resin and the decals that acompany the kit lay beautifully on top and bottom once you spray a base color.

Then with a coating of clear on top of that the board is just beautiful!

Best Surf decals are in the Revell 48 Woody. But... to look right you need to cut each decal out of the backing. If not the backing shows when placed on the glass.

I goofed that with the '41 Woody "Driftwood" currently residing in your workshop. (Should have cut them out!)

As an aside, there are many kits over the years that included surf boards. Some are better shaped than others... but I discovered something yesterday. The AMT recent release of the '69 Ford Galaxy has a decal sheet of nothing but stripes in a lot of different colors. Whoohoo, that will be very helpful in painting any surf board!

Check it out if you got it!

:angry:

Thanks, Terry. I am going to give all the chrome parts the Cranky treatment. Right now I am finishing some final touches on the body and then we'll start assembling some of the body componets including the headlights, front grill etc . . . I am trying to bring in the Tiki flair to it.

Stay tuned in for more progress.

Folks, I am uploading a new set of pictures I hope you find pleasing to the eye . . . and the rationale for this type of thing is you have to imagine a teenager in this economy who might have received a old beach comber vehicle from grandpa, an old surfer, and the kid went out and bought a whole bunch of stencils and went crazy with them and a rattle cans . . . that's all he could afford. Would you blame him? Plus he really liked the work he had been doing slowy on the paint . . . besides, this thing started out to be a surf-tiki-fied ride, right? You know Cranky can't help himself!!! Besides, I just want to make Jairus proud!!! :D

Stay tuned in for what I hope puts a big smile on your face tonight . . .

Other than the top, this is my favorite side . . . it just looks random and haphazzard enough to be believable. :D

IMG_2122-vi.jpg

Tiki voodoo, nothing like it!!! Of course this will be partly covered by the surf rack, but we'll know it is there . . .

IMG_2123-vi.jpg

Hum, Tiki with mustache or teeth . . .

IMG_2124-vi.jpg