Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Speedtruck

The Creative Explorer

Building has been very slow lately, not a whole lot came from my hands and I just moved to another country. I got behind on basically everything and I lost my modelling interest, due to lack of motivation. I quit my other job to start with a new company, better paid, company car, less hours...But even before I could start, they cancelled the contract. So I am now at home unemployed, which stinks.

But I finally found the motivation to start modelling, my first build in the new home is a Datsun 240ZG, but that will follow soon. At the moment the paint is hardening for polishing and I started a quite ambitious new project.

About 10+ years ago, I started the Dan Fink's speedwagon, but due to paint issues, it never happened. I kept the parts, but lost them over time. Now I only had 4 parts left and decided to use that as a starter for my own car. the '32 Speedtruck.

I started with cutting the roof and because I wasnt happy with the cut-off line behind the front door, I made a sloped angle roof, that way the passengers have a bit more room and it looks a bit moderner.

For the engine, I thought of the Chevy 283, with the unusual front blower option. This will make it more look unique and for the wheels I was thinking the 5-spoke cragar wheels.

32speedtruck001.jpg

32speedtruck002.jpg

32speedtruck003.jpg

32speedtruck004.jpg

32speedtruck005.jpg

32speedtruck006.jpg

32speedtruck007.jpg

32speedtruck008.jpg

32speedtruck009.jpg

32speedtruck010.jpg

• 1 month later...

This one kept laying around, basically I missed the motivation of keep working on the vast majority of work since everything needs to be scratched, customised or vastly changed. But I got it a few days ago and started working on prepping the body and I have been working on a modified radiatorshroud for the last 2 days and it is still nowhere. But there is progress.

The wheels needed to change too. On the second picture you can see the wheels I chose first, but when I kept looking, they are too small, especially in the back. So I kept looking and looking, and couldn't find what I wanted. Then I looked through my kit-stash and decided to rip 5-spoke cragars from a Resto Rod Mustang. There are plenty of wheels in there anyway.

32speedtruck014.jpg

32speedtruck015.jpg

32speedtruck016.jpg

32speedtruck017.jpg

32speedtruck018.jpg

32speedtruck019.jpg

32speedtruck020.jpg

32speedtruck021.jpg

32speedtruck022.jpg

32speedtruck023.jpg

I'm loving this ...the motor though is what really is unique. I noticed your source on this one is a parts pack. I'm using the same setup on my 32 sedan, but got the motor from the new Stevens reissue...its got a different setup than your using. Could you take a "top" shot so I can see your routing. What are you planning for the exhaust? Thanks Erik!

This is where I'm going...

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

Thanks guys!

@Walt; I am going with the last tires, I ripped them from the Resto Rod Mustang and they are just bang on.

@Mike; I forgot to take a picture from the top, but I will as soon as I can get the toothpick out of the radiator shroud. But basically the routing is the same. I do have virtually no room between the charger and the fenders. But barely enough for the intake. I don't know what I will going to do with the exhaust, although I think my preference heads for a rear dual. Nice phaeton of yours, completely different style, but very nice!

So, this is my latest update. I finished the radiator shroud and I manage to put a new paintjob on the car.

32speedtruck045.jpg

32speedtruck046.jpg

32speedtruck047.jpg

32speedtruck053.jpg

32speedtruck054.jpg

32speedtruck055.jpg

32speedtruck056.jpg

Amazing build. Where'd you find the engine? I've looked and can't find it. I have some evil rat rod ideas floating around that need to be fixed... ph34r.gif

I got this one Erik,

Couple of sources...look in the first sets of pix...yellow and blue box is a revell parts pack....found on evil bay

I used the one from last years reissue done by stevens/ AMT #38677

Edited by MikeMc