Model Cars Magazine Forum

'34 Ford semi

fordsixty

• 4 weeks later...

i am sorry it has been a while since my last update. been real busy with my new toy.

DSC01158.jpg

2010 victory cross country. what a ride! went to the dealer, took a test ride and bought it on the spot. B)

now back to our regularly scheduled program.

i started getting some work done on my semi.

DSC01162.jpg

a little mock-up. frame is painted and i started some weathering. (my first) i finished up the rear air bag suspension, just need to run the air lines.

DSC01163.jpg

the grill shell started out as the hood for the 1950 f-1. i sliced and sectioned the hood and then built the lower from evergreen. the grill is completely from evergreen. need to get the headlight buckets made now. also finished up the front air brakes.

DSC01164.jpg

the other side. still need to do some more weathering.

about the rear tires: they are from Modelhaus except they are custom cast for a member of our club. normally these have the wide white wall insert. he has ordered 10 more sets for me. when i get them, i will let you know. they are big, 1.4" tall by .9" wide.

anyway, thanks for looking.

Don't really want to distract from this stunning project, or at least. let's presume I don't.

But entirely btw, I have seen the Hagan/McGriff/Brooks Camaro you use as your Avatar race at Le Mans in 1982 with my very eyes. I still have photos somewhere. If I find them, I'll send you copies.

Oh, and if you ever decide to model it, please make two.

Edited by Junkman

WOW! thanks alot everyone for checking out my lil pig hauler. i am really glad that it is being smiled upon by my fellow forum brothers.

currently working on getting the motor finished up. i do not have pictures yet. hope to finish up the painting this weekend. will post pictures then.

i also worked out my logo for my 1/25 race shop. inside the circle i want to put a light gray silhouette of the side view of a pig. let me know what works and what does not.

DSC01166.jpg

yes, there actually is a chunky, texas. thought it went well with the pig theme. :lol:

christian, i would love to have more shots of this american beast. i am a big sucker for snowplow nosed, monster winged and massive flared ( as my brother calls it, tupperware ) american iron. the nose is so ugly that it is cool. you know, you are right, that camaro needs to be built.

bernard, thanks. i was trying to make this as realistic and technically correct as possible. i am really glad that you find it well proportioned. can you imagine seeing this '34 ford with a 35' trailer, hauling a race car, rolling down the highway. i would fall over dead. :lol:

dirk, you are correct. no chrome.

brian, an 8 ball, huh? they are cool. i actually went down to buy a hammer s; however, after the test ride, i just was not impressed. the cross country ride however..... :D

see sunday, nate,

Edited by fordsixty

• 3 weeks later...

well, i was able to get the basic Navistar done today.

DSC01097.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

boy, digital close-ups really emphasize the imperfections. :D

let me know what you think.

What did you use for the bolts on the engine?

What did you use for bolts on your frame? Are the ones in the frame functional????

They look way to big to be pins.

P.S. you can help hide imperfections using incandescent lights. Work in fluorescent though, to help show them.

- Hawk

• 4 weeks later...

WOW it sure has been a while since my last update. finally got some inspiration to try and get this old girl back on the bench.

still have a bunch of things to complete, including two tone the cab, but it is standing on it's own. and yes, all four tires sit on the ground. :)

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01175.jpg

this is my first weathering attempt using acrylic powders. i have to say they are great to use. i just hope my try is convincing to you guys.

DSC01177.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

i still have to finish the wiring harness and build and install the air cleaner cannister. i think the powerstroke looks pretty authentic.

DSC01179.jpg

used k&s 1/4" aluminium tubing for the stack, still have to install the cab clamp.

still have a lot to do yet; however, since i am glad that it is sitting on all fours, i thought i would share.

thanks for looking.

I like the concept (I did the same thing myself, sort of) but I find the length in front of the cab to be a little over the top or maybe it is just because the wheels are right out front. Will be watching this to see how it turns out.

New pics while I was posting this. Looks different with the rad installed. Nice and business looking!

Edited by DanielG

might i suggest a choptop trailer with really lowerd suspension to go with it? this is a buetiful ride bythe way. love that flat green colour. makes it look like a peice of turn of the centruy farm equipment...that somone turned into a beast of a rod. somone should actualy do somthing like that on this foruim. or a stanley steamer rod....

thanks guys. cannot wait to get this one finished so i can start on the trailer. :D

yes sir, Daniel. the front end is loooong. i had to push it out there because of two things. one, the powerstroke diesel runs the exhaust behind the heads ( over the bellhousing ) and the exhaust down pipe runs behind that so, the motor is quite aways ( that is in 1/25th talk ;) ) from the firewall. second, i wanted to use a tractor type grill shell which pushed the front crossmember well out front.

Gary, as long as you have a stash of parts/kits, you can build to your imagination's content. :P go man, go.

might i suggest a choptop trailer with really lowerd suspension to go with it?

hey Erik, thanks for the compliment. that is exactly what i intend to build. it will be a round front, box trailer with the back half converted into a ramp and the front part as a small work area. you can bet that it will be riding low and have it's lid lowered.